Perkins Coie's White Collar & Investigations practice successfully represents companies and individuals in a wide range of complex matters at the federal, state and local levels, and advises clients on all aspects of corporate compliance programs. Our team includes high-profile attorneys with years of experience conducting and evaluating complex investigations and representing clients in high-stakes litigation.
Our ranks include former U.S. Attorneys and Assistant U.S. Attorneys, former SEC enforcement attorneys and branch chiefs, SEC Chief Litigation Counsel, a U.S. State Department attorney, state prosecutors, a former Colorado Supreme Court Chief Justice, and other former government regulators.
We defend individuals and Fortune 500 companies, both domestic and international, facing the most serious criminal and civil allegations, including health care fraud, securities violations, and antitrust violations, as well as False Claims Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) offenses. We conduct sensitive and high-profile internal investigations for corporate clients and advise clients about proactively addressing industry and client-based probes to mitigate reputational, brand and litigation risk.
We also design and implement corporate compliance procedures, provide training programs, and audit those procedures to measure compliance. Whether preparing policies to avoid problems or dealing with employee misconduct after it has occurred, we use our experience to help clients find practical, effective solutions to their toughest compliance problems.
Our attorneys have managed numerous parallel criminal and civil proceedings with federal and state prosecutors as well as many government agencies and regulatory bodies, including the Department of Justice (DOJ), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), Federal Reserve, Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). We also have substantial criminal appellate experience, in both federal and state courts.
By virtue of our experience and reputation as former prosecutors and government attorneys, we have the tools to represent our clients vigorously and to negotiate the best possible outcome in high-profile matters across the nation.
Areas Of Focus
- Asset Seizure and Forfeiture
- Compliance and Internal Controls
- Computer Crimes
- Supply Chain Compliance & Corporate Social Responsibility
- Decentralized Virtual Currencies
- False Claims Act
- Financial Services Litigation & Investigations
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Healthcare Fraud
- Higher Education
- Public Corruption
- Securities Enforcement
- Represented Google in negotiating a non-prosecution agreement with the District of Rhode Island related to Canadian online pharmacy ads.
- Conducted internal investigation for a Fortune 500 company in matters involving allegations of insider trading and violations of the FCPA.
- Represented Northrop Grumman in a False Claims Act case under the Coast Guard Deepwater Program, obtaining summary judgment and dismissal of Realtor’s claim seeking $720 million in damages in connection with eight 123-foot patrol vessels delivered to the Coast Guard.
- Conducted internal investigation for a major university into potential false claims violations relating to federal grant funding.
- Represented and obtained a dismissal for Evergreen International Airlines in a fraud lawsuit brought under the federal False Claims Act.
- Served as court-appointed trustee in bankruptcy fraud matters involving over $100 million in life settlement funds.
- Served as lead trial counsel and obtained a $108 million federal court judgment against the former mayor of East Chicago, Indiana, and his former aides in a groundbreaking racketeering case brought by the State of Indiana.
- Served as court-appointed bankruptcy examiner to conduct an investigation involving a company that manages over $100 million in government pension programs.
- Represented former CEO of global financial services company in a matter involving claims of market manipulation by the DOJ and CFTC.
- Represented The Boeing Company and two of its senior executives in a federal securities class action related to the 787 Dreamliner airplane; obtained dismissal of case with prejudice.
- Represented the former Chief Risk Officer of Countrywide Financial Corporation, the country's largest mortgage lender, in investigations by the SEC and other authorities and in securities litigation.
- Secured dismissal of SEC insider trading claim and release of frozen assets in SEC v. Sanchez on summary judgment where the SEC alleged defendant traded on inside information ahead of an announced corporate takeover.
- Successfully defended an individual against civil forfeiture and criminal racketeering charges relating to internet gambling, obtaining dismissal and return of seized property, following extensive trial and appellate court practice.
National Leaders In White Collar Crime
Our attorneys have been widely recognized for their excellence and have earned top ratings in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers. Members of the Investigations team are recognized as leaders in their fields and serve in leadership positions in the America Bar Association’s National White Collar Crime Committee and the Association of SEC Alumni (ASECA) as well as other national and state associations and foundations.
Our attorneys also serve as frequent speakers at national conferences on emerging white collar issues and as authors and commentators in the press; they have been quoted in The New York Times, The Washington Post, BusinessWeek, USA Today, Los Angeles Times, The Economist, The Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune and other TV and print media.