Last Revised: July 20, 2020
Your Privacy: Overview
We may change this policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of this policy, and in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice (such as by adding a statement to our website homepage or by sending an email notification). We encourage you to review this policy frequently to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
- Collection of Personal Information
- Use of Personal Information
- Disclosure of Personal Information
- Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- Data Security, Transfers and Retention
- Children’s Privacy
- Links to Other Websites and Third-Party Content
- Your Choices
- Information for European Economic Area Residents
- Information for California Consumers: Your California Privacy Rights
- Contact Us
The types of personal information we collect about you depend on your interactions with us and are described in more detail below.
Personal Information You Provide Directly to Us
We collect personal information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account to access or use the Services, access or use any collaboration tools or participate in any interactive features of the Services, send us an email, fill out a form, respond to a survey, comment on a blog, register for or participate in an event, apply for a job, interact with us on social media, enter a promotional drawing, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of personal information we may collect include your:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, and phone number;
- Education information, such as educational degrees, languages, professional memberships, qualifications, and certifications;
- Employment information, such as business unit/division, company name, job status, job title, and office location;
- Health and health-related information, such as accessibility requirements, dietary restrictions, and, where necessary and appropriate to protect the health and safety of our personnel and others, information related to symptoms of, or risk of exposure to, certain illnesses;
- Demographic information, which may include sensitive personal information or information about protected classifications, such as age, gender, race/ethnic origin, and nationality; and
- Any other information you choose to provide.
Personal Information We Collect Automatically
We automatically collect personal information when you access or use the Services. The types of information we collect may include:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including your browser type and language, app version, access times, pages viewed, Internet Protocol (IP) address, approximate geographic location, and the webpage or online service you visited before navigating to the Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the mobile device you use to access our mobile applications, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Location Information: In accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise location of your device. You may stop the collection of precise location information at any time (see the Your Choices section below for details).
We may also collect personal information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Services. For example, we may use information from LinkedIn to update information about you in our contact database.
Personal Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the other types of personal information we collect. For example, we may infer your location based on your IP address, or that you are interested in employment or participating in an event based on your browsing behavior on our Services.
We use personal information for various purposes, including to:
- Operate and improve the Services;
- Respond to your questions, comments and requests;
- Provide the information or services you request and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts;
- Send you newsletters and updates;
- Communicate with you about our services, programming and events, and other information we think will be of interest to you;
- Assess job applicants and make hiring decisions;
- Monitor and analyze usage, trends, and activities related to the Services;
- Manage your online account(s) and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Protect the health, safety, and vital interests of our personnel and others; and
- Notify you about any changes to the Services.
We may process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, which may have less-protective data protection laws than the region in which you are situated. Please note that this processing, including storage, may involve cross-border transfers of your personal information as described in the “Data Transfers” section below.
- With the applicable state bar association, we may share your name and bar number in connection with an application for CLE credit;
- With vendors, consultants, professional advisors, and other service providers (collectively, “Service Providers”) working on our behalf and needing access to your personal information to carry out their work for us. Since our Service Providers are located around the world, please note that these disclosures may involve cross-border transfers of your personal information as described in the “Data Transfers” section below;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Perkins Coie’s assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of us or any third party;
- For users of our collaboration site, your name, contact information, and any content or materials you submit or post to that site may be shared with other users of the collaboration site; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you that your personal information will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such personal information. We may also share your personal information with third parties when you intentionally direct us to do so or when you use our Services to intentionally interact with third parties. We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Please note that any personal information you post in your profile, blogs, listings, public or private groups, forums and any other interactive areas of the Services will be available to other users of those features and, in some cases, may be publicly available.
Although we employ reasonable security measures, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure or private. If you have any questions about the security of personal information we collect, please contact: email@example.com.
When we transfer personal data from the European Union, United Kingdom, or Switzerland to the United States, we comply with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data. Perkins has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov/.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, we are committed to resolving complaints about our processing of your personal data. Individuals in the EU, U.K. and Switzerland who have inquiries or complaints regarding our compliance with the Privacy Shield program should first contact us. We have further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to JAMS, an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your complaint to your satisfaction, please contact JAMS by visiting https://www.jamsadr.com/file-an-eu-us-privacy-shield-or-safe-harbor-claim. JAMS provides dispute resolution services at no cost to you.
Under certain conditions, you may be able to invoke binding arbitration to resolve your complaint. Perkins is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission.
If we share personal data transferred to the U.S. under the Privacy Shield with a third-party service provider that processes such data on our behalf, then we will be liable for that third party’s processing in violation of the Privacy Shield Principles, unless we can prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
The Services are not intended for children under the age of 18. Perkins Coie does not target our Services to children under 18 or knowingly collect information from children under the age of 18.
You have certain choices with respect to how we treat your personal information, as described below.
You may review and request modifications to your personal information by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us or request changes to your communication preferences by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
When you first launch any of our mobile applications that collect precise location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of location information. If you initially consent to our collection of this information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, our mobile applications, or certain features thereof, may no longer function properly.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Additional Disclosures Related to Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
If you are a California consumer, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requires us to disclose the following information with respect to our collection, use, and disclosure of personal information.
- Categories of Personal Information Collected: In the preceding 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers, characteristics of protected classifications under California or U.S. law, professional and employment-related information, education information, commercial information, internet and electronic network activity, inferences drawn about your preferences, and other categories of personal information that relates to or is reasonably capable of being associated with you. For examples of the precise data points we collect, please see “Collection of Personal Information” above.
- Business or Commercial Purpose for Collecting and Using Data: We collect personal information for the business or commercial purposes described in the “Use of Personal Information” section above.
- Categories of Sources of Personal Information: We collect personal information from you and the sources described in the “Personal Information We Collect From Other Sources” section above.
- Categories of Personal Information Disclosed and Categories of Third-Party Recipients: In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed identifiers, commercial information, and internet and electronic network activity with the following categories of recipients: cloud service providers, consultants, data analytics providers, state bar associations, internet service providers, data storage providers, and operating systems and platforms. We also disclosed professional and employment-related information and education information with cloud service providers and consultants.
- Sale of Personal Information (as defined by the CCPA): We do not sell the personal information we collect.
Your Consumer Rights as a California Consumer
Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to request to know more about the categories and pieces of personal information we collect, use, and disclose and to request deletion of their personal information. You also have the right to opt out of sales of personal information, if applicable, and to not be discriminated against for exercising their rights under the CCPA. You may make a rights request by calling 1.800.829.1177 or visiting this page. We will verify your request by asking for information sufficient to confirm your identity, such as your name, email address, and information about your interactions with us. If you would like to use an authorized agent registered with the California Secretary of State to exercise your rights, we may request evidence that you have provided such agent with power of attorney or that the agent otherwise has valid written authority to submit requests on your behalf. We will not discriminate against you if you choose to exercise your rights under the CCPA.