Perkins Coie attorneys have the experience, depth and breadth to address any environmental or natural resource issue. With more than 80 environmental attorneys in offices across the United States, our practice helps clients navigate through the complex regulatory framework of environmental law.
Our attorneys have an extensive background in handling a broad range of legal requirements governing such areas as:
- Environmental review and disclosure
- Air emissions and climate change
- Water quality and supply, including surface and ground waters
- Wetlands and endangered species
- Protection of cultural and historic resources
- Development within a coastal zone
- Development on federal lands
- Toxic and hazardous substances - handling, treatment and disposal
- Environmental investigations and remediation
- Environmental health and safety audits
- OSHA and MSHA compliance
- Environmental enforcement and litigation
- Energy development and transmission
- Compliance with building codes
Environmental Counsel for Public and Private Projects and Facilities
We help clients obtain the necessary governmental approvals and achieve and maintain regulatory compliance for public and private projects and facilities of all kinds.
Perkins Coie’s experience includes industrial and manufacturing facilities; oil and gas projects including exploratory projects, refineries, pipelines and distribution projects; renewable energy projects and transmission corridors; mining and timber projects; transportation infrastructure such as highways, ports, airports, and transit lines; residential subdivisions; commercial and mixed-use developments; schools, hospitals and research & development facilities; water supply reservoirs and flood control projects; solid waste, composting and recycling facilities; and telecommunications and utility projects.
Expert Collaborations, Litigation Strength
We work closely with environmental consultants and experts in all fields related to the practice to maximize efficiency and the results we achieve for clients. We also understand the strategies for integrating the applicable requirements under federal law with the state and local rules, along with the ways to avoid delays and duplications of effort.
Although we strive to solve our clients’ problems through planning and negotiation, we can and do litigate disputes when necessary, appearing before administrative tribunals and in the state and federal courts at both the trial level and on appeal.
Chambers USA ranks our environmental group as one of the nation's top national practices. Our Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington offices are ranked in Band 1, and our California and D.C. offices are also ranked. The Legal 500 also recommends Perkins Coie in the Industry Focus: Environmental - Transactional and Regulatory. Numerous environmental attorneys throughout the firm have received recognition from legal and industry rating directories and publications.
Scope of Practice
Perkins Coie provides in-depth counsel in a range of environmental areas. Our service areas and related legal and regulatory issues in which we counsel include:
Environmental Permitting and Compliance
- Health and safety (OSHA and MSHA)
- EHS audits
- Legislation, regulation and policy
- International environmental laws, including REACH, ROHS and WEEE
- Corrective actions
- Voluntary cleanup
- Spill and release reporting
Environmental Litigation and Enforcement Defense
Water Rights, Resources and Policy
Climate Change Law and Policy
Land Use & Project Development
- Port and marine terminals
- Project development
- Public lands and natural resources development
- Infrastructure project development and finance
Corporate and Real Estate Transactions
- Endangered species and wildlife
- Public lands
- Coastal and ocean law
- Oil & gas
Native American Law and Policy
California Land Use and Development