Companies face rigorous scrutiny of their privacy and data security practices from a growing number of federal, state, and foreign regulators with ever-expanding mandates and increasingly aggressive use of investigative and remedial powers.
Perkins Coie handles some of the highest profile privacy, data security, and consumer protection investigations and enforcement actions initiated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), state attorneys general, local regulators, and foreign data protection authorities. Our clients rely on us for our knowledge and deep bench, including attorneys with experience as former officials of the FTC, state attorneys general offices, and other federal and state regulatory bodies.
We have represented clients in over 100 governmental inquiries involving wide-ranging issues such as:
- Cybersecurity incidents and data security practices.
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and other children’s privacy issues.
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) and biometric technologies.
- Internet of Things (IoT) and connected device privacy and security.
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Gramm-Leach Bliley Act (GLBA), and other financial privacy issues.
- Online and mobile advertising practices.
- State privacy laws such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Our lawyers represent clients in all stages of investigations. We are well-versed in the dynamics of multistate attorneys general investigations and in serving as global coordinating counsel in investigations spanning U.S. and foreign regulators. Our lawyers also defend clients in litigation when government authorities file enforcement actions in court or in administrative tribunals. When investigations end with compliance orders, we help companies create and manage compliance programs, obtain any required third-party assessments, and defend inquiries into compliance with such orders. We also advocate for clients in formal and informal congressional investigations as well as on public policy issues, such as in agency rulemakings and in connection with legislative activity.
Companies in a wide array of industries, ranging from startups to some of the world’s largest corporations, trust Perkins Coie to defend them in these matters. In all our work, we bring to bear a powerful blend of substantive privacy and security expertise, facility with technology, ability to work efficiently with engineers and business people, and tenacity in fighting for our clients.