Progressively intricate regulations and heightened government enforcement have increased employers’ potential exposure and liability under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). Likewise, high-profile cases involving pensioners and company stock have resulted in multimillion-dollar judgments, costly settlements and a surge in ERISA litigation.
Perkins Coie helps clients navigate difficult employee benefits litigation issues while defending high-stakes cases efficiently and aggressively. Working on behalf of some of the largest corporations in the country, as well as midsize companies and small owner-operated businesses, our attorneys represent employers, plan administrators and plan fiduciaries in all facets of employee benefits and ERISA litigation, including:
- Proceedings for benefits under employee pension plans
- Lawsuits under disability benefits plans, severance plans and other employee welfare plans
- Statutory claims under ERISA, such as claims related to COBRA, benefits interference, and breach of ERISA’s participant disclosure rules
- Complaints for breach of fiduciary duty under ERISA
- Claims for contributions or withdrawal liability by multi-employer benefit trust funds
Perkins Coie has defended dozens of ERISA cases filed on behalf of individual plaintiffs as well as class action cases.
Using pre-emptive tactics and decisive strategies, we help clients avoid costly litigation, reduce exposure and limit liability. Clients rely on our deep understanding of the nuances, trends and cutting-edge issues in employee benefits—from lawsuits challenging employee pension plan design to claims for retiree medical benefits to allegations of irresponsible investing.
Perkins Coie also represents clients in administrative proceedings and litigation to obtain tax and ERISA rulings in response to IRS, DOL and other government audits and investigations as well as compliance issues faced under voluntary government programs.