Partner (Beijing Chief Representative)
Michael House, a partner in the firm’s Business group, focuses his practice in international trade law. Michael advises and represents clients in all aspects of trade remedy investigations under U.S. antidumping, countervailing duty and safeguard laws, as well as on export licensing and export control matters. He also advises clients in bilateral and multilateral disputes before the World Trade Organization. Michael counsels clients on Customs issues involving import transactions including entry, classification and valuation, and on U.S. international trade policy including free-trade agreements, trade negotiations, and investigations of market access and import competition.
Michael regularly represents clients in matters before the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. International Trade Commission, U.S. Trade Representative, U.S. Department of State, and other federal and local agencies. He has served as the lead litigation counsel in cases brought before the U.S. Court of International Trade, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Michael represents clients in a broad cross-section of industry sectors, including such major industries as semiconductors, steel, consumer electronics, paper, chemicals and textiles, and involving exports from a wide variety of countries including Korea, China, Japan, Malaysia, Ecuador, Canada, Italy, Germany, United Kingdom, Russia, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Taiwan, among others.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, International Trade and Finance Law, 2012 - Present
- Ranked as leader in field of WTO/International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy by Chambers Global, 2007 - 2009
- Nationally ranked as leader in field of International Trade by Chambers USA, “America’s Leading Business Lawyers,” 2005 - 2008
- Listed in International Who’s Who of Trade and Customs Lawyers, 2006 - 2008
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Chapter 19 Roster of Binational Panelists, Member
- U.S. Supreme Court Bar, Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Bar, Member
- U.S. Court of International Trade Bar, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association, Member
- Kaye Scholer LLP, Washington, D.C., Partner and Co-Chair, International Trade Practice, 1994 - 2004
- Donovan Leisure Newton & Irvine, Washington, D.C., Partner and senior member of International Trade Practice, 1990 - 1994
- Dow, Lohnes & Albertson, Washington, D.C., Associate, 1982 - 1989; Partner, 1990
- Hon. Walter Ely, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1981 - 1982
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1981
Managing Editor, Texas Law Review
- Southern Methodist University, B.F.A., magna cum laude, 1978