Labor & Employment |
Perkins Coie's Labor & Employment practice, one of the largest in the West with more than four dozen attorneys, represents employers in all facets and at all stages of labor and employment relations. With sweeping geographic reach and rare substantive depth, our lawyers routinely confront some of the most challenging issues facing employers in the modern workplace.
Trial Lawyers and Counselors
Our Labor & Employment lawyers represent clients in a wide range of industries, from industrial manufacturing, transportation, forest products and construction, to retail, health care and high technology. Serving as trusted counselor and advisor to in-house law departments or human resource professionals is a role we treasure. In addition, our range of experience in a variety of industries allows us to provide relevant, efficient, and practical advice to accomplish business objectives expeditiously. Our lawyers understand that, as counselors and advisors, their role is to help our clients achieve their business goals, not to prolong disputes or complicate issues.
We're proud to represent some of the best known, fastest growing, and most interesting clients in the American economy, including Boeing, UPS, REI, Microsoft, Weyerhaeuser, Puget Sound Energy, Smart & Final, Starbucks, Vulcan and the Baseball Club of Seattle.
While our lawyers offer a full range of services, we are first and foremost trial lawyers with formidable experience trying cases, small and large, in federal and state courts throughout the country. Indeed, our lawyers are among the handful of lawyers anywhere in the nation who have taken employment class actions to trial – and prevailed. Moreover, we have a unique depth of experience with negotiating and administering collective bargaining agreements for some of the largest union employers in America.
And we practice what we preach. It's no accident that Perkins Coie has been consistently listed as one of the "100 Best Places to Work For" in FORTUNE magazine's annual survey.
A Full Range of Services
Our lawyers have a sweeping range of knowledge and experience. Indeed, there are virtually no labor or employment matters for which we can't rapidly field a first-rate team of experienced lawyers. We routinely provide a full range of services for our clients, including:
- Counseling and Preventative Law/Training: We provide advice on the full spectrum of employment issues, including employee discipline and background investigations and requirements under laws as diverse as FLSA, FMLA, ADA, Title VII, WARN, COBRA and their state and local counterparts.
- Employment Litigation: Our lawyers have substantial trial experience and regularly appear in state and federal courts around the country, to defend employers against claims of discrimination, wrongful discharge, wage-hour violations and other employment-related claims.
- Traditional Labor: Our labor lawyers have a singular depth of experience born from decades of experience at the bargaining table, in arbitration or before the NLRB for some of the largest union employers in America.
- Employment Privacy: We have particular depth of experience in counseling our clients on encrypting and protecting digital employee information to prevent disclosure when laptops, flash drives, DVDs, or other portable databases containing confidential personnel information go missing.
- ERISA Litigation: Our attorneys represent employers, plan administrators, and plan fiduciaries in all facets of employee benefits and ERISA litigation. We have defended cases filed on behalf of individual plaintiffs as well as class actions.
- Noncompetition Litigation: We have defended or attacked the application of noncompetition agreements in a variety of industries and settings, not only in injunction hearings, but at trial when necessary.
- Workplace Investigations: Our lawyers have informed experience in handling the most sensitive investigations – from senior executive management, to shop floor employees.
- Workers' Compensation: We have broad experience in dealing with complex legal and medical issues and help large employers manage claims and additional issues relating to workers' compensation.