David Biderman, a partner in Perkins Coie's San Francisco and Los Angeles offices, focuses his practice on mass tort litigation and consumer class actions. He heads the firm's Mass Tort/Toxic Tort Defense group. He has represented a wide variety of companies in state and federal courts in California for 30 years.
David currently manages the firm’s full-service product liability team responsible for defending over 1000 toxic tort cases pending in Los Angeles and Northern California state courts. These cases entail ongoing trial activity at various levels for several trials set each month. The highly experienced and well-coordinated team has handled thousands of asbestos toxic tort cases for a variety of clients spanning a period of over 10 years.
The group’s clients include FORTUNE 500 companies from such industries as consumer products, aerospace manufacturing, household goods, dry cleaning, and industries that generate electromagnetic fields, such as electric utilities and operators of wireless communications systems.
On consumer class actions, David represents packaged food companies, coffee companies, dairy companies, footwear companies and others whose nutritional or health claims have been challenged. He also has represented search engines and other online companies. He has a record of favorable results for clients. He successfully tried a major consumer fraud class action on behalf of one of the world’s major search engines in a case involving online gambling advertisements. For that same client, he negotiated a favorable settlement of a class action challenging its online advertising pricing. He represented a major coffee retailer in defeating a class action on standing grounds. He also has litigated pre-emption defenses arising out of food labeling and obtained a dismissal for a client whose nutritional statements were challenged.
David speaks and writes regularly on class action issues. He has presented to the American Bar Association (ABA), the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, the Product Liability Advisory Group and others on consumer class actions. David has served the courts through the Civil Litigation Subcommittee of the California Judicial Council, on special committees formed by the state courts to address toxic tort litigation, and as a member of the ABA’s American Jury Project.
David is recognized by clients and by professional organizations for his client service and work ethic. He has regularly been listed as a “Super Lawyer” in Los Angeles or San Francisco. He has been recognized by the Minority Corporate Counsel Association and Los Angeles Business Journal as a “Top Rainmaker.” He has published articles in the National Law Journal, the Los Angeles Daily Journal, the Defense Research Institute’s member publication, For the Defense, and the Washington Legal Foundation.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants; Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2011, 2013
- Rated Superb on Avvo.com
- Highlighted as one of the leading rainmakers in "Diversity & The Bar"
- Listed in Law & Politics and San Francisco magazines as a Northern California "Super Lawyer," 2009 - 2012
- Listed in Los Angeles magazine as a Southern California "Super Lawyer," 2004, 2007 - 2008
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- The Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Asian/Pacific Bar of California, Advisory Council, 2009 - present
- Japanese American Bar Association (JABA), 2009 - present
- American Bar Association: American Jury Project, 2004 - 2005; American Jury Commission, 2005 - 2006; Commission on an Independent Judiciary, 2006 - 2007; Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Products Liability, General Liability and Consumer Law Executive Committee, 2005 - 2006; Litigation Section Securities Litigation Committee, 2005 - present; Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee, 2008; Minority Trial Lawyer Committee, 2005 - 2006
- Judicial Council of California, Civil and Small Claims Advisory Committee
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Los Angeles County Bar Association: Litigation Section; Corporation Section; Banking and Business Law Section
- Los Angeles County Superior Court, West District, Civil Advisory Board, 1997 - 1998
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA), Vice President of Programs, 1999; Treasurer, 2002 - 2005
- Product Liability Advisory Committee, 2003 - 2011
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar
- State Bar of California
- Administrative Office of the Courts, Judicial Council of California
- California Advocates Inc., California Asbestos Project Steering Committee
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1981
Articles Editor, Virginia Journal of Natural Resources Law
- Emory University, B.A., 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California