Dr. Babak Tehranchi is an associate with the firm's Intellectual Property practice. Babak's practice has an emphasis on patent prosecution and counseling, patent portfolio evaluation, due diligence and patent litigation support in technology areas including wireless technologies, optics, digital rights management, software, electronics and medical devices. Babak’s practice also focuses on preparing and conducting post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent Office including inter partes review (IPR), post-grant review (PGR), covered business method (CBM) review and patent reexamination.
Babak has over 10 years of industry experience as a scientist/engineer. Prior to law practice, Babak worked as a senior staff engineer at Verance Corporation, a leading company in digital watermarking, and as a senior research scientist at Eastman Kodak R&D Laboratories. Babak has extensive experience and knowledge in digital signal processing, image and video processing, optics, wired and wireless communication systems, semiconductors, digital watermarking, data storage systems, including optical and magnetic storage media and devices and printing systems. Babak has considerable experience in software and hardware design, using a variety of programming languages such as C and VHDL.
Babak is the inventor of more than 30 U.S. and international patents in the following representative areas:
- Copy protection, digital watermarking and data encryption: U.S. Patent Nos. 8,745,404; 8,538,066; 8,340,348; 8,321,679; 8,280,103; 8,103,049; 8,005,258; 7,788,684; 7,644,282; 7,616,776; 7,369,677; 7,242,772; 7,043,019; 6,809,792, and several pending applications
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) systems and applications: U.S. Patent Nos. 7,063,470; 6,634,814; 6,628,316; 6,381,418; 6,363,239; 6,099,178
- Printing systems: U.S. Patent Nos. 6,873,435; 6,509,919
- Optical data storage: U.S. Patent No. 6,112,324
- Foley & Lardner LLP, San Diego, CA, Attorney, Patent Agent and Law Clerk
- Verance Corporation, San Diego, CA, Senior Staff Engineer/Patent Agent
- Eastman Kodak R&D Laboratories, Rochester, NY, Senior Research Scientist
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2009
- University of Arizona, Ph.D., Optical Sciences, 1996
- University of Arizona, M.S., Optical Sciences, 1994
- University of Arizona, M.S., Electrical Engineering, 1992
- University of Arizona, B.S., magna cum laude, 1989
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office