Shannon Bloodworth advocates for pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients in complex patent litigation, nationally and internationally. Shannon’s extensive policy-shaping litigation experience focuses on pharmaceutical patents and includes representing clients before U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and numerous district courts, including the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin. She is recognized nationally for her trial work, including being named an Intellectual Property MVP by Law360 two times in the past four years.
Currently lead trial counsel in several significant pharmaceutical patent litigations, Shannon recently won a milestone case in the Federal Circuit that put an end to client Mylan's high-stakes and long-running patent battle over a multiple sclerosis drug by proving patent invalidity. Shannon also secured a successful outcome for Mylan in a high-profile trial requiring PTAB to rule whether the doctrine of tribal sovereign immunity applied to inter partes reviews. The Federal Circuit affirmed this industry-shaping decision, which Law360 named one of the “Biggest Patent Cases of 2018.”
In her leadership of Perkins Coie, Shannon serves as the firmwide Intellectual Property practice chair. She is also a member of the firm’s Compensation and Contingent Fee Committees.
- Listed in Law360 as an Intellectual Property MVP, 2015, 2019
- Named "Hatch-Waxman Litigator of the Year – Generic" by LMG Life Sciences, 2019
- Listed in Chambers USA "America's Leading Lawyers" Intellectual Property: Litigation, 2019
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2020: Litigation - Patent
- Recognized as one of the “Top 250 Women in IP” globally by Managing IP, 2018
- Recognized by Managing Intellectual Property as an IP Star, 2016 - 2019
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, 2013 - 2019
- Listed in LMG Life Sciences 2014 as a "Life Sciences Star"
- Recognized as a Super Laywer by Washington D.C. Super Lawyers, 2019
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Litigation Attorneys
- Attorneys and the Food and Drug Law Institute
- Heller Ehrman LLP, Madison, WI and Washington, D.C., Associate, 2004 - 2008
- Venable LLP, Washington, D.C., Associate, 2001 - 2004
- Hon. James Eyler, Court of Special Appeals of Maryland, 2000 - 2001