Sara Chenetz represents clients with varied interests in bankruptcy, restructuring, workout and litigation matters. She has served as first chair in multiple trials, arbitrations and mediations, in addition to serving as a court-appointed Chapter 11 trustee in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California and District of Nevada and as a mediator in bankruptcy cases in New York and California. Sara helps clients formulate and implement complex restructuring, workout, litigation and settlement strategies in a variety of situations, including:
- Out-of-court workouts
- Federal and state litigation and arbitration
- Assignments for the benefit of creditors
- Distressed asset sales
- Capital and transaction structures
- Conducting business with financially troubled companies.
Sara has worked with businesses in an array of industries. These include aerospace, biotech, defense, ecommerce, entertainment and media, finance, investment management, healthcare, hotels and leisure, lending, manufacturing, mining, professional services, real estate, retail, sports, technology, transportation, unmanned vehicles and wine.
Through the course of her career, Sara has represented all parties involved in bankruptcy, restructuring, workout and litigation matters. She regularly counsels first and second lien holders, asset, business and debt acquirers, official and unofficial committees, debtors in possession, bond and equity holders, directors and officers, trustees and examiners. Additionally, her clients include vendors, employee benefit plans, landlords, tenants, retained professionals, plaintiffs and defendants.
A Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, Sara has been ranked by Chambers USA, which highlighted such clients' comments as "so knowledgeable about bankruptcy" and "very bright...has a calm personality and is well attuned to clients' needs.” Sara is a frequent speaker and author on bankruptcy, restructuring, workout and litigation issues.
- Recipient of Changemaker Award presented by the Coalition Against Slavery & Trafficking for pro bono work representing survivors of human trafficking, 2018
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Ranked by Chambers USA for Bankruptcy, 2009, 2011 - 2013, 2018 - 2019
- Listed in Southern California Super Lawyers for Bankruptcy, 2005 - 2020
- Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV® Preeminent ™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- Litigation Council of America, Fellow
- Perkins Coie Billing & Collections Committee, Firmwide Chair, 2016 - present
- Kellogg School of Management Strategic Leadership Program, Northwestern University, 2015 and 2019
- American Bankruptcy Institute Bankruptcy Battleground West Conference, Planning Committee, 2014 - 2017
- ALI CLE Commercial Law/Bankruptcy, Advisory Panel Member, 2015 - 2017
- Southern California Chapter of Turnaround Management Association, Former Vice President
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Former Member of International Board of Directors
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, Former Member of Board of Directors
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Central District of California, Panel of Mediators
- 2011 Turnaround Management Annual Convention, Planning Committee
- 2008 Annual California Bankruptcy Forum, Co-Chair