Ronald T. Sarubbi, chair of the firm’s practice, leads the Corporate Trust practice, which is distinctive for its combined focus on transactional matters, defaults and bankruptcies, and indenture trustee-related litigation. He represents the corporate trust departments of banking institutions in their roles as indenture trustee, collateral agent, administrative agent, escrow agent, custodian, securities intermediary and other agency capacities in domestic and cross-border debt capital market transactions, defaulted debt restructurings and litigation.
In his practice, Ron reviews and negotiates contracts for corporate and municipal debt, escrow, custody and agency agreements, and more sophisticated and novel types of secured project financings and structured finance transactions. These deals typically involve companies, hedge funds, investment banks and projects located in the United States and in emerging markets throughout Latin America and Asia and have involved the review and negotiation of thousands of indentures, agency agreements and custody/control agreements. He has also worked with secured and unsecured creditors and disbursing agents in numerous defaulted debt restructurings. Ron has advised indenture trustees in complex commercial litigation, including breaches of representations and warranties and the enforcement of loan repurchases by sponsors and originators in residential mortgage-backed securities transactions.
Recently, Ron has been counseling financial institutions on the application of blockchain and distributed ledger technology in their securities servicing and processing areas. He is a member of Perkins Coie's Blockchain Technology & Digital Currency industry group. The group was established more than three years ago and consists of 40 lawyers representing some of the earliest and most innovative firms in the industry, including Overstock, Andreessen Horowitz, R3 CEV, and Xapo.
Ron frequently presents to groups of trust professionals on various corporate trust topics.
- Listed as a “Super Lawyer” in New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2014 - 2018
- Center for Creative Leadership, Partner Leadership Program, 2017
- American Bar Association, Committee on Trust Indentures and Indenture Trustees
- New York City Bar Association, Committee on Recruitment and Retention of Lawyers
- Brick by Brick, Board Member
- Council of Urban Professionals
- Kellogg School of Management Strategic Leadership Program, Northwestern University, 2015
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Practicing Attorneys for Law Students (PALS) Mentor
- Structured Finance Industry Group
- The Deal’s Advisory Committee
- Pryor Cashman LLP, New York, NY
- The Chase Manhattan Bank, New York, NY