Nicholas Gellert has been representing Perkins Coie clients in a wide array of litigation matters for more than a quarter century. He has achieved successful results through arbitration, mediation and trial and appellate victories at all levels of state and federal courts. Nick’s practice focuses on confirming insurance coverage for policyholders and also on resolving real estate, construction and other contract disputes.
In his diverse insurance coverage practice, Nick has handled everything from residential title insurance claims to multimillion- dollar disputes over coverage under liability and D&O policies. Nick’s real estate litigation experience is similarly wide ranging and includes many different types of disputes, such as boundary line and adverse possession disputes, purchase and sale agreement claims, and breach of lease litigation.
Nick also maintains an active pro bono practice, through which he has handled both individual claims and complex litigation, including several death penalty cases and other constitutional litigation. He played an important role in defending the constitutionality of Interest on Lawyer Trust Account (IOLTA) programs, which achieved a vital protection of this important mechanism for funding indigent legal services. He acted as the firm’s Pro Bono Coordinator for several years and currently serves, by appointment of the Washington Supreme Court, on Washington’s Access to Justice Board.
- Listed in Super Lawyers Magazine, "Washington's Super Lawyers," 2004, 2010 - Present
- Washington State Bar Association, Award of Merit, 2003
- King County Bar Association, President's Award, 2003
- American Bar Association, IOLTA Litigation Team Award, 2003
- King County Bar Foundation, Champion of Justice Award, 2002
- Perkins Coie, Pro Bono Leadership Award, 2002
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Washington State Access to Justice Board, Member, 2011 - present
- ATJ Board Delivery System Committee, Co-Chair, 2011 - present
- Legal Foundation of Washington, Board of Trustees 2004 - 2009; President, 2009