Michelle Umberger is a partner in the Patent Litigation and Intellectual Property Litigation practices. For 20 years, she has focused her practice on intellectual property litigation, including licensing and other technology agreement disputes. Michelle manages complex, high-stakes cases involving a wide range of technologies, including microprocessors, medical devices, antibody libraries, genetically engineered plants and mechanical devices.
Michelle also consults with clients regarding complex patent licenses and technology transfer issues as part of larger agreements. She represents both established international companies and startups in patent infringement, licensing disputes, trademark, trade dress and unfair competition litigation. Michelle is also trusted to represent university technology transfer offices in their most significant intellectual property disputes.
- Named Best Lawyers' "Lawyer of the Year" in Madison, Wisconsin for Patent Litigation, 2015; "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2018
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2013 -Present: Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Intellectual Property; Litigation - Patent
- Listed in Wisconsin Super Lawyers, (Rising Star - Intellectual Property Litigation), 2006 and 2007
- Received the "Women in the Law" award from the Wisconsin Law Journal, 2012
- Fellow of the American Bar Association
- American Law Institute (ALI)
- Member of the Seventh Circuit Pattern Civil Jury Instructions Committee (Patents)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association