Michael Warnecke is of counsel in the firm's Patent Litigation practice. He has been a partner from 2007 to 2016 and has served as firmwide co-chair of the Patent Litigation practice from 2009 to 2015. His practice focuses on major patent litigation cases, including international patent, technology licensing and other intellectual property matters. He has been first chair on numerous patent litigation cases in which he represented companies such as Caterpillar Inc., Brunswick Corporation, MetLife and Mitsubishi Corporation. In one of the most significant cases of his career, Michael obtained successful damages and injunctive relief for Rockwell International on a major trade secret matter. The case was later affirmed on appeal where it garnered substantial national media attention for its innovative use of computer graphics to present evidence.
More recently, in August 2010, Michael was lead trial counsel in the Riddell v. Schutt case. This patent infringement case involved Riddell’s significant football helmet technology developed to reduce concussions. The jury award of $30 million was the largest in Wisconsin history for a patent case.
In the 1990s, Michael was selected by the People's Republic of China trade delegation, led by Vice Premier Li Lanqing, to host a two-day seminar for American automotive and after-market companies, as well as the Chinese delegation on the legal aspects of doing business in China.
At the request of the Chinese government, he also provided advice on the redrafting of the 1984 Patent Act. Similarly, in 1993, he provided advice on the Unfair Competition Act, which was adopted in 1994.
Michael’s extensive experience has led him to be retained as an expert witness in many litigation matters.
Prior to joining Perkins Coie, Michael was the chair of the Intellectual Property practice at Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw in Chicago.
- Listed in Chicago Magazine as Top Attorneys In Illinois, 2016
- Named the Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Patent, 2016
- Listed in Chambers Global, "America's Leading Lawyers," 2014 - 2017
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP, 2013, 2014, 2016
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, 2012 - 2016
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, Litigation Silver Band, 2012 - 2014
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Listed among the top ten Illinois 2008 Super Lawyers as published by Law & Politics
- Listed in Chambers USA, "America's Leading Business Lawyers" and "America's Leading Intellectual Property Lawyers"
- Listed in the Law Bulletin Publishing Company's Leading Lawyers Network as Illinois Leading Lawyer
- Arbitrator for American Arbitration Association, Chicago
- Mediator, Patent Infringement
- Arbitrator, Patent Infringement, 1997
- Arbitrator, Trade Dress Infringement, 1994
- Participated as Chairman of arbitrator's panel for complex beer distributorship contract arbitration, 1989 - 1990
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2006 - Present: Litigation - Intellectual Property; Litigation - Patent; Patent Law; Trademark Law
- Listed as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Law & Politics, 2005 - 2017
*The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.
- American Arbitration Association, Panel of Arbitrators
- American Bar Association
- Section of Patents, Trademarks & Copyrights
- Arbitration & Other Alternative Procedures, Judiciary, and Inequitable Conduct & Antitrust Matters Committee
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Bar Associations for the Seventh and Federal Circuits
- Chicago Bar Association
- Section of Antitrust Law Committees: International & Foreign Law Committee
- Former Chair, Patent, Trademark & Copyright Committee
- International Patent and Trademark Association (AIPPI)
- Patent Law Association of Chicago
- Federal Rules & Practice Committee
- Trial Skills Subcommittee
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Member
- Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP, Chicago, IL, Partner, 1996 - 2007
- Keck, Mahin & Cate, Chicago, IL, 1991 - 1996
- Neuman, Williams, Anderson & Olson, Chicago, IL, 1967 - 1991
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, U.S. Patent Examiner, Group 350, Washington, D.C., 1963 - 1967