Marcelo's practice focuses on complex commercial transactions involving the development, deployment and distribution of technology in a wide variety of industries. He advises multinational "FORTUNE 100" companies, startups, emerging growth companies, governments and non-profits on collaboration, development, distribution, license and service agreements. He also frequently advises clients on intellectual property and technology issues arising in the context of mergers and acquisitions, industry alliances and consortia, joint venture arrangements, financings, data management, and tech transfer transactions.
Marcelo provides practical counsel in connection with emerging technologies, including those related to big data analytics, artificial intelligence, fintech, internet of things, smart cities, mobile, cloud “as a service” platforms, hardware and e-commerce, as well as the overall interplay of interoperability, industry standards and IP licensing approaches. He has a strong focus on complex strategic alliances and licensing transactions, outsourcing and ERP implementation, digital strategies—including open source licensing, data security, data use and privacy issues—and co-branding and other marketing and distribution strategies.
Marcelo was honored by U.S. News - Best Lawyers as the Chicago “Lawyer of the Year” in the technology law category and has been listed since 2004 as one of “America’s Best Lawyers” for technology law by Chambers USA in its annual guide of leading business lawyers.
- Listed as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Law & Politics, 2009 - 2011, 2013 - 2017
- Named the Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" for Technology Law, 2016
- Chambers' USA Guide to Leading Business Lawyers, 2004 - present
- The Best Lawyers in America 2006 - present: Technology Law
- Illinois Leading Lawyers Network, 2004 - present
- Legal 500, Leading Lawyer, 2005 - present
*The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.
- Practising Law Institute, Understanding the Intellectual Property License program, Chair
- Illinois Legal Aid Online, Board of Directors, Immediate Past President
- International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw), Membership Committee, Local Representative
- American Bar Association, Science and Technology Section, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Computer Law Committee, Member
- Latham & Watkins LLP, Chicago, IL, Partner
- Gordon & Glickson LLC, Chicago, IL, Partner