Marcelo Halpern focuses on complex commercial transactions involving the development, deployment and distribution of technology in a wide variety of industries. He regularly works with clients in the blockchain industry, advising on technology and platform issues, the structuring of token offerings, digital currency concerns, tokenization of assets, and the development and operation of blockchain-based collaborative platforms. He also has advised on the formation of various blockchain consortiums, such as the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, that develop blockchain platforms in specific industries and create industry standards.
Marcelo provides practical counsel in connection with emerging technologies, including those related to big data analytics, artificial intelligence, fintech and blockchain, internet of things, smart cities, and mobile and cloud computing. Additionally, his counsel covers “as a service” platforms, hardware and e-commerce, as well as the overall interplay of interoperability, industry standards and IP licensing approaches. He offers in-depth experience in guiding complex strategic alliances and licensing transactions, outsourcing and ERP implementation, digital strategies—including open source licensing, data security, data use and privacy issues—and other marketing and distribution strategies.
Among his clients are multinational FORTUNE 100 companies, startups, emerging growth companies, governments and nonprofits, whom he represents on structuring and negotiating collaboration, development, distribution, license and service agreements. He also frequently advises clients on intellectual property and technology issues arising in the context of mergers and acquisitions, industry alliances and consortia, joint venture arrangements, financings, data management and tech transfer transactions.
Outside of his legal practice, Marcelo serves on the board of directors for Youth Guidance and previously served as president of the board of directors for, and remains active with, Illinois Legal Aid Online. Marcelo was honored by U.S. News - Best Lawyers as the Chicago “Lawyer of the Year” in the technology law category and has been listed by Chambers USA since 2004 as one of “America’s Best Lawyers” for technology law.
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, 2018
- American Bar Foundation Fellow, 2017
- Listed as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Law & Politics, 2009 - 2011, 2013 - present
- Named the Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" for Technology Law, 2016
- Chambers' USA Guide to Leading Business Lawyers, 2004 - present
- The Best Lawyers in America 2006 - present: Technology Law
- Illinois Leading Lawyers Network, 2004 - present
- Legal 500, Leading Lawyer, 2005 - present
*The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.
- Practising Law Institute, Understanding the Intellectual Property License program, Chair
- Illinois Legal Aid Online, Board of Directors, Immediate Past President
- International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw), Membership Committee, Local Representative
- American Bar Association, Science and Technology Section, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Computer Law Committee, Member
- Latham & Watkins LLP, Chicago, IL, Partner
- Gordon & Glickson LLC, Chicago, IL, Partner