Dr. Lara Dueppen is a senior counsel in the firm's Intellectual Property practice. She has experience in a wide range of intellectual property development and protection, including:
- Patent procurement and global patent portfolio management
- Strategic counseling on matters including patentability, due diligence, and freedom-to-operate
- Inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Patent litigation before the Federal courts
Lara has represented clients in matters covering a broad range of technologies, primarily focused on biotechnology. Representative clients include startup companies, public and private research institutions and large pharmaceutical companies.
Trained as an interdisciplinary physiologist, Lara pursued undergraduate and graduate research projects related to endocrinology, neuroendocrinology and cardiology. Her doctoral research focused on estrogen's effect on the development and treatment of atherosclerosis and the physical and molecular changes to the arterial wall with various treatment courses.
In her legal practice, Lara has advised clients working in such technologies as antibody therapeutics, cellular therapeutics, nucleic acid and small molecule therapeutics, vaccines, in vivo and in vitro diagnostics, recombinant DNA and proteins, in silico computer modeling and algorithms of biological and pathological processes, and nanotechnology.
- Perkins Coie LLP, Los Angeles, CA, Summer Associate, 2007
- Alliance Imaging Inc., Anaheim, CA, Intern to General Counsel, Summer 2006
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, CA, Research Assistant, Summer 2006
- UCLA School of Medicine, Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, Ph.D. Candidate, Hyde Fellow, 2000 - 2005
- UCLA College of Letters and Science, Department of Physiological and Life Sciences, Teaching Assistant, 1998 - 2003
- UCLA College of Letters and Science, Department of Physiological Science, M.S. Candidate, 1997 - 1999