John Iani, a partner with the firm's Environment, Energy & Resources practice, focuses his practice on helping clients in developing and structuring business and commercial endeavors, particularly in the areas of project development, energy, natural resources and fisheries. He also represents clients in environmental and regulatory issues before Congress, federal and state agencies, administrative bodies and the courts. John served as the Regional Administrator for Region 10 of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), where he was responsible for managing the EPA's offices in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. While serving at the EPA he took the lead on implementing several major initiatives, including a compromise with the U.S. Forest Service that resolved environmental concerns for harvesting fire-damaged salvage timber; water quality programs to protect endangered salmon; and implementing enhanced and streamlined environmental safeguards for future oil, gas, and mining development in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. Prior to that, John was vice president and general counsel at UniSea, where he was responsible for governmental, legal and regulatory affairs programs. UniSea is one of Alaska's largest seafood processing companies.
John is a recognized environmental lawyer in the prominent Chambers USA rankings.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2009 - Present: Energy Law; Environmental Law; Mining Law
- Ranked by Chambers USA, as “America’s Leading Environmental Lawyers," 2010 - present
- North Pacific Fishery Management Council
- North Pacific Research Board
- Van Ness Feldman, LLP Partner, 2004 - 2010
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 10, Regional Administrator, 2001 - 2004
- Uni-Sea Inc., General Counsel, 1993 - 2001
- Sen. Frank Murkowski (R-AK), U.S. Senate, Senior Legislative Assistant, 1981 - 1983
- Rep. Don Young (R-AK), U.S. House of Representatives, Legislative Aide, 1979 - 1981