Kevin J. Hamilton focuses his practice on labor and employment counseling and litigation. Mr. Hamilton has addressed, through counseling, negotiation, or litigation, a broad range of key issues critical to the modern workplace. Mr. Hamilton has extensive experience with non-competition, trade secret, discrimination, multiple plaintiff and wrongful discharge litigation. Mr. Hamilton chairs the firm's nationally-recognized Retail & Consumer Industry practice, including more than 260 lawyers throughout the firm who focus on issues across the spectrum confronting the retail and consumer products industry.
Mr. Hamilton has worked closely with a wide variety of clients on employment-related issues, including Starbucks, Microsoft, Vulcan Inc., Eddie Bauer, The Boeing Company, Intellectual Ventures, Puget Energy, Amazon.com, F-5 Networks, Outdoor Voices, Alpha Technologies and J.Crew, among others.
In addition, Mr. Hamilton has deep experience with election and political law, including recounts, election contests, redistricting, Voting Rights Act litigation, campaign finance issues, and the administration of elections. Mr. Hamilton has represented numerous candidates in statewide recounts, including North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper (2016), Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring (2013), Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton (2010), Minnesota Senator Al Franken (2008), Washington Governor Christine Gregoire (2004), and Washington Senator Maria Cantwell (2000). Mr. Hamilton represented both Senator Franken and Governor Gregoire as trial counsel in election contests in 2005 (Gregoire) and 2009 (Franken).
Mr. Hamilton has represented Democrats in litigation challenging congressional and state legislative redistricting plans in Texas, Florida, Virginia, Ohio, Nevada, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina and elsewhere. In the 2016 election cycle, Mr. Hamilton was involved in litigation over voter registration deadlines in Florida, North Carolina and Arizona.
Other election law clients have included the Washington State Democrats, Jay Inslee for Governor (2012 and 2016), U.S. Senator Patty Murray (2004 and 2010), U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell (2000, 2006, 2012), Darcy Burner for Congress (2006 and 2008), Suzan DelBene (2010), Washington Families Standing Together (supporting Referendum 71, 2009), King County Executive Dow Constantine (2009), and various other federal, state and local candidates.
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Listed in Chambers USA, “America’s Leading Labor and Employment Lawyers,” 2012 - Present
- Named Best Lawyers' Seattle, "Litigation - Labor and Employment Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2007 - Present: Commercial Litigation; Employment Law - Management; Labor Law - Management; Litigation - First Amendment; Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Listed in Super Lawyers Magazine, “Washington's Super Lawyers," 2003 - Present
- Listed in Corporate Counsel, "Labor & Employment Law," 2008
- Listed in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, "Best Lawyers"
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- ABA, Section of Litigation, Associate Editor, Litigation Magazine
- The American Law Institute (ALI), Member
- Principles of Election Law; The American Law Institute, Adviser
- King County Redistricting Commission, Member, 1996
- American Employment Law Council (AELC), Member
- Georgetown University Law Center Alumni Board, Member
- YMCA Youth & Government Board, Member
- Hon. J. Skelly Wright, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1985 - 1986
- Hon. Howard Holtzmann, Iran-United States Claims Tribunal, 1986 - 1987