Judy Jennison is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property group. Her practice focuses on intellectual property litigation and counseling for technology companies. Judy also spends a significant portion of her time on client relationship management and the evolution of legal practice.
Judy has particular experience in the application of copyright law to software. She was lead counsel for the successful search engine defendant in Kelly v. Arriba Soft, a landmark fair use case. She has participated in a number of other leading copyright cases, including Nintendo v. Galoob, Adobe v. Southern Software and MGM v. Grokster. Judy also focuses on trade secret litigation and counseling and is a former chair of the firm’s Trade Secrets Group.
Judy has handled trademark, trade dress, false advertising and unfair competition claims and has participated in several high profile antitrust cases including Atari Corp. v. Nintendo and United States v. Microsoft.
In addition to her many years in private practice, Judy spent eight years as an in-house lawyer with Microsoft Corporation, where she led the company’s Copyright and Trade Secret Group, served as associate general counsel for the Microsoft Office business and was responsible for significant aspects of the company’s worldwide antitrust compliance efforts.
- Eastside Legal Assistance Program, Board Member and Volunteer, 2005 - present; Vice President, 2009; President, 2010 - 2011
- Seattle Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, Master, 2010 - present
- Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA, Senior Attorney, 2004 - 2006; 2008 - 2011, Associate General Counsel, 2006 - 2008
- Perkins Coie, Menlo Park; San Francisco, CA, Partner, 2000 - 2003; Of Counsel, 1999
- Fenwick & West, LLP, Palo Alto, CA, Associate, 1997 - 1999
- Steinhart & Falconer, LLP, San Francisco, CA, Associate, 1993 - 1997
- Mudge, Rose, Guthrie, Alexander & Ferdon, LLP, New York, NY, Associate, 1991 - 1993