Joe Mais is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers who has served as lead counsel in many trials and arbitrations as well as numerous other matters that were successfully resolved before trial. These matters include multiple securities, intellectual property and consumer actions, as well as contract, business tort and real estate litigation.
Joe is currently ranked by Chambers USA as an Arizona Band One litigator and described as a "top-flight litigator much admired for the ‘clarity of his thinking.’" He is currently listed by Best Lawyers in America in Bet-the-Company commercial and securities litigation. One reviewer said: "Joe is great at reading the overall situation... putting forward the most compelling arguments and knowing what to leave aside." He is also currently recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a "Local Litigation Star."
For more than twenty years, Joe served in law firm leadership roles while maintaining an active litigation practice. He served as managing partner of Brown & Bain P.A. (1995 – 2004), where he led the successful merger of the firm with Perkins Coie. He then served as a member of Perkins Coie’s Management Committee (2004 – 2008), Executive Committee (2004 – 2016) and as Chair of the firm’s Commercial Litigation national practice group (2008 – 2016).
- Named the Best Lawyers' Phoenix "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Securities, 2016; "Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- Listed in Chambers USA "America's Leading Lawyers" for General Commercial Litigation in Arizona – Band 1
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2001 - Present: Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Securities
- Listed in Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys as a "Local Litigation Star" in Securities and Intellectual Property
- Listed as a “Super Lawyer” in Southwest Super Lawyers
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Bar Association, Life Fellow
- American Bar Association, Business Torts Committee, Regional Co-Chair
- State Bar of Arizona, Law Practice Management Committee, Chairman and Member
- State Bar of Arizona, Class Action Committee, Member
- NITA Trial Training Faculty, Member
- Speaker and lecturer on numerous topics including class actions, securities litigation, managing complex litigation, complex tort litigation, economic damages, law firm management, and professional excellence.
- Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center, Board of Directors
- Devereux Arizona, Board of Directors