Joseph Bringman is a senior counsel in the firm's Commercial Litigation practice, with over 30 years of experience in state and federal trial and appellate courts. Joe's practice emphasizes defense of securities and corporate governance litigation, including shareholder class actions under federal and state securities laws, shareholder derivative actions and shareholder challenges to corporate mergers and acquisitions. Joe also has substantial experience prosecuting and defending claims of dissenting shareholders to recover "fair value" for their shares following a merger, pursuing claims for coverage under insurance policies, defending against claims for attorney and accountant malpractice, defending corporations against qui tam fraud claims, and representing lenders in judicial and nonjudicial foreclosure actions.
Recognizing that many attorneys are not willing to represent prisoners, Joe has devoted many hours to pro bono matters on behalf of prisoners. His cases have addressed the rights of inmates to live in smoke-free cellblocks, to receive and send mail free of unconstitutional censorship and other restrictions, and to receive constitutionally required medical care.
Joe has long been an active member of the King County Bar Association, for which he served as president in 2011-2012. Joe also was a member of the steering committee for 2012's successful King County Proposition 1, which provided the resources to fund construction of a new Children and Family Justice Center that eventually will replace King County's dilapidated Juvenile Court facility. Since July 2014, Joe has been a trustee of the Public Law Library of King County.
- Elected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, 2012
- King County Bar Association "President's Award," Recipient, 2006
- Listed in Washington Law and Politics Magazine, “Washington's Super Lawyers,” 2000
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law, 1996 - present
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- King County Bar Association
- President, 2011 - 2012
- First Vice President, 2010 - 2011
- Second Vice President, 2009 - 2010
- Trustee, 2004 - 2006
- Secretary/Trustee, 2003 - 2004
- Chair, Fair Campaign Practices Guidelines Revisions Task Force, 2004 - 2005, 2007 - 2008
- Chair, King County District Court Redistricting Task Force, 2006
- Chair, Equal Rights for Same-Sex Couples Task Force, 2005
- Member, Strategic Planning Task Force, 2016 - 2017
- Member, Lawyer Referral Service Task Force, 2010
- Committee Chair: Nominations Committee (2013); Audit Committee (2005 - 2006); Continuing Legal Education Committee (2003 - 2004); Fair Campaign Practices Committee (1997 - 1999, 2006 - 2008); Young Lawyers' Division Election Committee (1986)
- Committee Member: Audit Committee (2004 - 2006); Awards Committee (2009 - 2010); Bar Bulletin Committee (2003 - 2011); CLE Advisory Committee (2008 - 2011); Fair Campaign Practices Committee (1995 - 2001, 2006 - 2008, 2014 - present); Judiciary and Litigation Committee (1995 - 2003, 2012 - present); Judicial Conferencing Committee (2000 - 2002, 2013 - 2014); Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee (1993 - 1996, 2010 - 2011, 2012 - present); Judicial Officer Survey Committee (2013 - present); Literacy Committee (1994 - 1995); Membership Committee (2003 - 2009, 2010 - 2011, 2012 - present); Professionalism Committee (approx. 1995 - 1996).
- Author, "Federal Civil Trial Practice" chapter of Washington Lawyers' Practice Manual (2002, 2003, 2010 and 2011 revisions)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, 1985 - present
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington, Local Rules Committee, 2007 - 2011, 2016 - present
- Public Law Library of King County, Trustee, 2014 - present
- Perkins Coie Fellowship Board, Director, 1990 - 1997
- Youth Emergency Services (YES) for Children and Families - King County Prop 1, Steering Committee, Member, 2012
- Yale Alumni Schools Committee, 1981 - present
- Yale College Class Agent, 2011 - present
- Coordinator of Lectors, St. Catherine of Siena Church, 2003 - present
- Volunteer, King County Democrats, 1983 - 1985
- University of Washington School of Law, Acting Assistant Professor, 1983 - 1985