Jennifer Understahl, a partner in the Real Estate and Land Use group, is experienced at negotiating, strategizing and working with clients to close commercial real estate transactions of all types across the country. Her representation spans the gamut of commercial property types, including retail shopping centers, senior housing facilities, office complexes, industrial buildings and multifamily projects. Jennifer’s areas of counsel and representation include real estate finance (including new loans and work-outs of existing loans); improved property sales and acquisitions; leasing on both the landlord and tenant side for industrial complexes, office buildings and shopping centers; management and other property operations agreements; joint venture issues; and title, survey and other complex due diligence review.
In addition, Jennifer has handled all aspects of CMBS specially serviced loans; A/B, multi-tranche modifications and other modifications; note sales; forbearance agreements; loan extensions and deed in lieu agreements; and the leasing, disposition and other ownership issues of REO properties after foreclosure. Jennifer has worked on hundreds of CMBS assets, in states such as New York, California, Arizona, Washington, Nevada and New Mexico, as part of the firm’s high-volume, nationwide handling of CMBS-related transactions.
Jennifer is actively involved in the firm’s Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities (CMBS), Senior Housing and Retail & Consumer Products industry groups, as well as in national and local industry groups, including the Urban Land Institute. She is the chair of the firm’s Phoenix Diversity Committee.
- Recognized by Arizona Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star," 2014, 2015
- Recognized by Arizona Super Lawyers as a "Southwest Super Lawyer", 2016
- Urban Land Institute (full member):
- Programs Committee (AZ District Council), Member
- Trends Day Committee (AZ District Council), Member
- Urban Plan Outreach Program (AZ District Council), Volunteer
- Women’s Leadership Initiative (AZ District Council), Member
- Responsible Property Investment Council (ULI national), leadership, planning committee
- United States Tennis Association, Central Arizona USTA League Grievance Committee, Member
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- Georgetown University Law Center’s Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, 2017, Invitee
- Perkins Coie Brown & Bain P.A., Phoenix, AZ, Summer Associate, 2004