James is a Seattle trial attorney who focuses on employment law. James's practice covers all types of legal disputes that arise between employees and employers, including employment discrimination, whistleblower, trade secret, non-competition, employee raiding, wage-and-hour and employment class action disputes. Over his career, James has obtained dozens of defense verdicts, judgments and arbitration awards on behalf of Perkins Coie clients. An experienced first-chair trial attorney, he is frequently engaged to take over as a matter approaches trial.
James also has an active counseling practice, especially in the high-technology sector, having assisted clients such as Microsoft, AT&T Mobility, Cardiac Science, T-Mobile, CenturyLink, and Boeing with executive negotiations, employee IP disputes and other complex employment issues.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2016 - 2018: Employment Law - Management
- Listed in Super Lawyers Magazine, "Washington's Super Lawyers" 2007, 2011 - Present
- Recognized by King County Bar Association for pro bono work with the Lutheran Compass Center
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2015: Employment Law
- Leadership Tomorrow, Class of 2002 - 2003
- University of Washington School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy
Hon. William Shubb, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California, 1994 - 1995