- Communications Decency Act
- CAN-SPAM Act
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA)
- Stored Communications Act
- Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
Jim regularly counsels and defends clients in class action litigation, and he defended the first lawsuit filed under the CAN-SPAM Act and the first lawsuit filed under Michigan’s Child Protection Registry.
California specific laws are a focus of Jim’s practice. He represents clients nationwide regarding California’s call recording laws (the California Invasion of Privacy Act), commercial email law, unfair competition law (UCL), the Consumer Legal Remedies Act, the Online Privacy Protection Act, and the Song-Beverly Act, among other statutes. His successful defense in California-based privacy class actions includes representing financial institutions, telecommunications companies, Internet service providers, retail companies, App providers and online companies.
Intellectual Property Counsel and Litigation
Jim also handles intellectual property matters nationwide, representing clients as plaintiffs and defendants in patent, copyright and trade secret matters, among others. Jim has represented companies in a wide range of technology areas, including medical device, Internet, telecommunications, energy, consumer electronics, financial services and software. He has represented clients in a wide range of jurisdictions, including international clients in patent litigation and companies based in China, Taiwan and Japan.
A Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) as designated by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), he serves as co-chair of the IAPP's San Francisco Bay Area Knowledgenet program, Cyberspace Law Committee of the State Bar of California (former chair), and the San Francisco Bay area Intellectual Property Inns of Court. Jim is a frequent speaker, author and commentator on privacy and security, Internet and intellectual property issues.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018: Privacy and Data Security Law; Technology Law
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP, 2014, 2016
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, Top lawyer in Corporate Litigation (Intellectual Property), 2010
- Super Lawyers, Northern California, 2005, 2009 - 2017
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Nor Cal IAPP KnowledgeNet, Co-chair
- San Francisco Bay Area Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- State Bar of California, Cyberspace Law Committee, Former Chair
- Santa Clara University Law School Moot Court Competition, Judge
- San Francisco Assistant District Attorney, 1998
- TechNet, Privacy Legislative Issues Adviser