Eric Fjelstad, a partner in the Environment, Energy & Resources practice, is managing partner of the Alaska office and leads the firm’s Alaska environmental and resources practices. His practice is focused on oil and gas, mining, project development, litigation, and strategic counseling for industrial projects.
Eric’s project development practice is focused on due diligence, commercial arrangements for exploration, development and production, and permitting. He regularly counsels Alaska’s leading oil and gas and mining companies on Section 404 permitting and compensatory mitigation, NEPA strategy and compliance, permitting and leasing in the Outer Continental Shelf, SMCRA permitting, easements and rights-of-way, strategies for permitting and consultation under the ESA and MMPA, oil spill contingency planning, RCRA, PSD air permitting and water rights issues.
Eric’s litigation practice is focused on the representation of mining, oil and gas, and industrial concerns in administrative and legal challenges to project approvals and permits. He also regularly defends against third-party and governmental claims and investigations brought against companies under state and federal environmental laws. Eric has worked on many of the most significant DRR, natural resources damages, and contaminated sites proceedings in Alaska, and has negotiated settlements covering the shutdown and cleanup of many of Alaska’s largest industrial facilities.
Eric is active in the Alaska resources community and is a frequent speaker on issues relating to resource development in Alaska. He is currently the Senior Vice President in the Resources Development Council, a trade group representing Alaska’s leading resource and tourism companies.
- Named the Best Lawyers’ Anchorage "Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year," 2014; 2017
- Listed in "The International Who's Who of Environmental Lawyers," 2010
- Ranked by Chambers USA, as “America’s Leading Environment & Natural Resources Lawyers," 2003 - 2016
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2007 - Present: Environmental Law; Litigation - Environmental
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation transition team, appointed as member by Murkowski Administration, 2002 - 2003
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation NPDES Primacy Working Group, appointed as member, 2004 - 2008
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation Antidegradation Working Group, appointed as member 2012 - 2013
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- Listed in Super Lawyers, as "Alaska Super Lawyer", Environment, Energy & Natural Resource Law, 2007 - 2015
- Listed in Best Lawyer for, Environmental Law - Administrative/Regulatory, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Coastal Zone Management, Counseling, Endangered Species, Litigation, Mining, Permitting, RCRA/Hazardous Waste, Superfunds/Environmental Remediation, Litigation - Environmental, 2015
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, Fellow, 2012 - Present
- Alaska Bar Association, Environmental and Natural Resources, Administrative Law, and Corporate Counsel Sections
- American Bar Association, Natural Resources, Energy, and Environmental Law Section
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Resource Development Council for Alaska, Senior Vice President, Member of Executive Committee and President of Board of Directors
- Ziegler Law Firm, Ketchikan, Alaska, Partner, 1996 - 1999
- U.S. EPA Region 5 Multimedia Enforcement Branch, Law Clerk, July 1993 - December 1993