David Steele represents large and small companies across a range of industries in both state and federal courts. He has assisted clients in a variety of environmental law litigation and permitting matters including defending Clean Water Act and RCRA citizen suits, NPDES permitting, Clean Air Act compliance and CERCLA cost recovery actions. David also represents major utilities and energy companies before state and federal utility commissions, including FERC, in energy-related litigation, pipeline distribution litigation, energy transactions and various state regulatory issues.
In addition to environmental and energy law, David represents clients in other complex business litigation matters including breach of contract, unfair competition, antitrust, intellectual property and trade secret litigation. David has successfully represented clients in all stages of litigation and case management, including initial case assessment and pleadings, e-discovery and discovery strategy, depositions, dispositive and procedural motions, pre-trial preparation, trial and settlement negotiations, and alternative dispute resolution.
David is active in the community and maintains a robust pro bono practice, focusing primarily on constitutional rights. He was a member of the Perkins Coie Wilbur v. City of Mt. Vernon litigation team that successfully challenged the public defender systems in two Washington cities for the failure to provide effective assistance of counsel to indigent defendants.
- Washington Defender Association, President's Award for the Wilbur v. City of Mt. Vernon indigent rights to counsel class action litigation, 2014
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Champion for Justice Award for the Wilbur v. City of Mt. Vernon indigent rights to counsel class action litigation, 2014
- Perkins Coie Annual Pro Bono Leadership Award for the Wilbur v. City of Mt. Vernon indigent rights to counsel class action litigation, 2013
- Duke Environmental Law & Policy Clinic, Durham, NC, Student Attorney, 2011
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Summer Associate, 2011; Legal Extern, 2007
- Robinson, Bradshaw & Hinson PC, Charlotte, NC, Summer Associate, 2011
- North Carolina Conservation Network, Raleigh, NC, Legal Extern, 2011
- Centre County Court of Common Pleas, Hon. Thomas King Kistler, Bellefonte, PA, Law Clerk, 2010