David Matheson, a partner in the firm’s Corporate practice, brings value to clients by providing strategic and practical advice. David has more than 25 years of experience in counseling clients on corporate governance and general corporate matters, raising capital through public and private equity and debt offerings, and acquiring and disposing of businesses and assets. David advises domestic and foreign public companies — including controlled companies and master limited partnerships — on their SEC, NYSE and Nasdaq disclosure and reporting obligations, and assists boards of directors, special committees and management in fulfilling their fiduciary duties. David's clients primarily include manufacturing, technology, retail, energy and transportation companies, including world-leading maritime shipping companies.
David has developed one of the most active and sophisticated capital markets practices in the Pacific Northwest region, assisting clients in raising billions of dollars through IPOs and follow-on public offerings of common, preferred and debt securities, shelf and “at-the-market” offerings, PIPE and Rule 144A transactions, and private placements. David also provides buy-side and sell-side representation for private and public companies in small and multibillion dollar mergers and stock and asset transactions, and represents companies and executives in negotiating employment agreements and general corporate matters.
Chambers USA and other legal rating services recognize David as a leading attorney in corporate, capital markets, securities and M&A matters. Chambers USA has described David as "renowned for his experience and knowledge of capital markets and public companies" and has quoted clients describing David as "an excellent adviser to the board and to management" and noting his "careful, detailed and smart" approach.
- Named the Best Lawyers “Securities Regulation Law Portland Lawyer of the Year,” 2016 and “Corporate Law Portland Lawyer of the Year,” 2018
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2012 - Present: Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law; Securities / Capital Markets Law; Securities Regulation
- Ranked by Chambers USA, as “America’s Leading Business Lawyers," 2005 - present
- Listed in Oregon Law & Politics, "Oregon Super Lawyers," 2006 - present
- Listed in Legal 500 United States, "Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts," 2008 - 2009
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- Oregon State Bar Association, Executive Committee of Business Law Section, 2012 - 2016; Chair, 2015
- Oregon State Bar Association, Executive Committee of Securities Regulation Section, 2005 - 2011; Chair, 2010
- Oregon Entrepreneurs Network, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2006
- Shearman & Sterling LLP, Los Angeles, CA, Associate, 1991 - 1995