Christopher Hanewicz, firmwide Patent Litigation practice chair, is a partner in the Patent Litigation and Intellectual Property Litigation practices. He has been involved in complex intellectual property litigations concerning both biotechnology and mechanical patents. He has extensive patent litigation trial experience, as well as experience in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. While Christopher’s practice includes experience across all of the major patent litigation dockets (e.g., N.D. Cal., C.D. Cal., E.D. Tex., D.D.C. and the Western District of Wisconsin), he has particular experience in trying cases in the “rocket docket” Western District of Wisconsin, where he has obtained favorable jury verdicts in all four of his patent litigation jury trials, with technology ranging from football helmets to a method of genotyping the hepatitis C virus.
Christopher has also gained substantial experience in the damages side of intellectual property litigation, and one of his recent trials (on behalf of his client Riddell) resulted in the largest damages verdict in the history of the Western District of Wisconsin.
Christopher is also actively involved in the community, having been a member, and now president, of the Wisconsin Equal Justice Fund.
- Recommended in Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000, 2016 - 2020
- Named Best Lawyers' Madison, "Litigation - Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year," 2017
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2014 - 2020: Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Intellectual Property; Litigation - Patent
- Ranked by Chambers USA, as “America’s Leading Business Lawyers (Up and Coming)," 2008; “America’s Leading Intellectual Property Lawyers," 2011 - 2020
- Listed in Wisconsin Super Lawyers, "Rising Star - Intellectual Property Litigation," 2006 - 2008
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Wisconsin School for the Deaf Mock Trial Program, 1999 - present