Chelsea Dwyer Petersen is a partner who focuses her practice on employment litigation with an emphasis on complex class action cases.
Chelsea's areas of experience include proactive defense of discrimination and wage-and-hour class action and collective action cases for clients such as Comcast, The Boeing Company, Amazon and OfficeMax. She has substantial experience in all phases of class cases, including early strategic assessment, defeat of class certification, supervision of large-scale electronic document review, oversight of expert witnesses and taking a case to trial.
She also regularly defends employers against individual discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wage-and-hour claims raised to state and federal enforcement agencies and filed in state and federal court. Representative clients include Microsoft and Starbucks.
As a counselor, she works closely with clients to minimize the possibility of litigation by providing efficient advice regarding every-day human resources issues and creating employment handbooks and policies to keep business moving smoothly. In particular, she counsels employers on how to comply with federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Washington Law Against Discrimination and the Washington Minimum Wage Act. Chelsea also performs workplace investigations and provides training on compliance and best practices.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018: Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Washington Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2008 - 2012
- Washington Employment Law Letter, Co-Editor
- Parent Affinity Group, Perkins Coie, Founder and Former Chair
- Girls on the Run of Puget Sound, Board of Directors
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Summer Associate, 2001
- King County Prosecutor’s Office, Seattle, WA, Extern, Most Dangerous Offenders Project, Summer 2000
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Client Relations Coordinator, 1996 - 1999; Big Deals of Washington publication researcher, 1999 - 2002