Charles Sipos has over fifteen years’ experience litigating complex commercial cases, with a focus on class action litigation and an emphasis on defending consumer protection class actions against food and beverage companies. Charles has successfully defended numerous class actions for food industry clients in courts nationwide, including in California, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Colorado, Florida and the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Ninth and Seventh Circuits. He has presented arguments resulting in dismissals and summary judgment based on federal preemption, lack of standing, primary jurisdiction, failure to allege damages and related defenses.
Clients also turn to Charles to resolve matters prior to litigation, in which he responds to pre-suit letters challenging food-labeling claims. In addition to his litigation representation, Charles counsels food industry clients on federal regulatory matters, risk analysis for advertising and labeling claims, and administration of food recalls. He is a frequent speaker and author invited to offer insight on emerging issues in food litigation.
In the class action arena, Charles has experience that extends beyond the food industry. He represents internet service providers, brick and mortar retailers, software companies and video game manufacturers in defense of consumer class actions. Recent successes include a successful argument on behalf of Google, Inc. that resulted in denial of class certification in long-running litigation concerning Google’s privacy policies.
Charles also maintains an active intellectual property practice, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in disputes involving false advertising, copyright, trademark and Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) claims. He also has substantial appellate experience, and has authored briefing at all levels of the Washington and federal appellate courts, including the United States Supreme Court.
- Co-recipient, Washington State Bar Association Award of Merit, 2011
- Co-recipient, Japanese American Bar Association Public Service Award, 2006
- Co-recipient, National Law Journal Pro Bono Award, 2006
- Co-recipient of Perkins Coie Pro Bono Award, 2003
- Co-recipient, King County Bar Association Outstanding Lawyer Award, 2007
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, “Rising Stars of Washington Law," 2005 - 2008, 2010 - 2012
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Associate, 2002 - 2007
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Litigation Paralegal, 1997 - 1999
- Y.S. Chang & Associates, Seoul, South Korea, Director, International Operations, 1995 - 1996
Hon. Betty Fletcher, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2007 - 2008