Dr. Bryan Beel is a counsel in the firm’s Patent Litigation practice, where he represents companies from a wide variety of disciplines in patent litigation matters and focuses on representing pharmaceutical companies in Hatch-Waxman litigation. Experienced in patent litigation, inter partes review proceedings and patent and trademark prosecution, Bryan counsels clients on the most efficient, effective and favorable way to resolve a dispute.
Bryan's advanced training lies in the areas of biotechnology, molecular biology, biochemistry and studies of protein structure and signaling systems. In this arena, Bryan regularly defends some of the world’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturers in patent litigation involving drug substances, product formulations and methods of treating diseases and disorders. Bryan has extended this work beyond federal district court litigation, and has challenged pharmaceutical patents in inter partes review proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including one of the first successful proceedings in this area.
Bryan’s practice reaches beyond the pharmaceutical and biotech arena and Oregon. His broad scientific training has served Bryan well in patent litigation involving mechanical engineering, printing technologies, medical workstations, chemical engineering and electronics. Additionally, Bryan has handled cases in federal courts across the country and at all levels, from Oregon to New Jersey, and from local district courts to the United States Supreme Court.
Bryan is a founding editor and writer for 1600 PTAB & Beyond, the firm’s blog focused on patent decisions and developments affecting the life sciences industry
- Listed in Oregon Law & Politics as a "Oregon Rising Star," 2013 - 2017
- Oregon Bioscience Association, Government Relations Committee, 2013 - present
- Oregon State Bar, Chairman of the Federal Practice and Procedure Committee
- American Bar Association, Sections of Litigation and Intellectual Property
- Federal Bar Association, Member; Board of Directors, 2013 - 2018
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon Pro Bono Panel
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Pro Bono Representation Panel
- Oregon State Bar Volunteer Disciplinary Defense Counsel
- Perkins Coie LLC, Portland, OR, Contract Review Center/Litigation Attorney, 2009 - 2010
- Kolisch Hartwell, P.C., Portland, OR, Technical Consultant, 2004 - 2007; Intellectual Property Attorney, 2007 - 2009
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, Postdoctoral Scholar, Division of Biology, 2000 - 2004