Ben Straughan is a partner in the firm's Emerging Companies & Venture Capital practice. He assists high-growth technology, venture-backed, and emerging and early-stage companies in industries that include software and software as a service (SaaS), mobile, gaming and interactive-entertainment, e-commerce, media companies, cloud computing, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), and technology transfer spinouts. Ben advises companies in angel and venture capital and other financial transactions, board matters, mergers and acquisitions. Ben brings a unique skill set as a corporate attorney who began his legal career advising clients on tax matters.
Ben is a regular speaker on emerging companies, financing and mergers and acquisitions. He is an advisory board member for the University of Washington’s Buerk Center for Entrepreneurship, a board member for the Plymouth Housing Group and the former board chair of the Northwest Entrepreneur Network (NWEN).
Prior to joining the firm, Ben was an associate at the Skadden law firm in Washington, D.C., and had a career as a certified public accountant (CPA) before going to law school.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 - 2021: Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- Named a Greater Seattle Technology Ecosystem “Top Corporate Lawyer,” iLnnovate Leadership Network, Study & Entrepreneur’s Guide, 2017
- Washington State Bar Association (WSBA), Executive Committee of the Business Law Section, Immediate Past Chair, 2011 - 2012, Chair, 2010 - 2011; Chair, 2009 Mid-Year Meeting; Secretary, 2007 - 2008
- WSBA, Partnership/LLC Law Committee of the Business Law Section, Member
- University of Washington, Buerk Center for Entrepreneurship, Advisory Board Member
- Northwest Entrepreneur Network (NWEN), Chair of the Board, 2008 - 2009; Board Member, 2007 – 2010; Co-Chair, Breakfast Committee, 2009 - 2010, Co-Chair, Entrepreneur University Steering Committee, 2006
- The IndUS Entrepreneurs (TiE) Seattle, Board of Advisors, 2006 - 2007
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, Washington D.C., Associate
- Martin/Grambush, Kirkland, WA, Staff Accountant