Andrew Hanson is Senior Counsel in the firm’s Environmental & Natural Resources practice, where he has been involved in negotiating contracts and seeking regulatory approvals for hundreds of millions of dollars of investments in renewable energy projects, energy efficiency and demand response programs, electric vehicle infrastructure, advance metering infrastructure, grid modernization and other emerging technologies in the energy sector.
Prior to joining Perkins Coie, Andrew most recently served as a senior attorney with Alliant Energy. Highlights of Andrew’s achievements while in-house counsel include negotiating contracts for the acquisition of several hundred megawatts of wind and solar projects and securing regulatory approval for 1,000 megawatts of new wind generation.
In addition, Andrew has held several positions in public service, including seven years as a trial attorney with the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., and prior to that, with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in its Office of Civil Enforcement and in EPA’s Office of Groundwater and Drinking Water.
Andrew has been published by the Environmental Law Institute, Virginia Environmental Law Journal, Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, Pace Environmental Law Review, Wisconsin State Bar and other publications; he has also been a presenter at the Wisconsin Public Utility Institute.
Andrew has taught at Vermont Law School’s summer sessions, where he designed and taught an intensive two-week environmental litigation course using a hypothetical problem to lead students through the basics in pretrial civil litigation under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
Andrew started his career at a small, start-up nonprofit environmental law center under an Equal Justice Works fellowship, where he initiated citizen suit litigation under the major federal environmental statutes, as well as bringing cases to under local and state environmental and land use laws.
- Clean Lakes Alliance, Economic Impact and Policy Committee Member
- REAP Food Group, Director/Board of Directors
- Alliant Energy Corporate Services, Madison, WI, Senior Attorney, 2016 - 2018
- United States Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., Environment and Natural Resources Division, Trial Attorney, 2008 ‐ 2015
- Vermont Law School, South Royalton, VT, Environmental Law Program, Adjunct Summer Faculty, 2014, 2015
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C., Office of Civil Enforcement, Air Enforcement Division, Attorney‐Advisor, 2006 – 2008
- Midwest Environmental Advocates, Madison, WI, Staff Attorney, 2001 – 2006
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C., Environmental Protection Specialist, 1997 ‐ 1998