Amelia Gerlicher focuses her practice in the areas of privacy and data security, counseling clients on preparing for and reacting to data breaches and network intrusions, as well as helping clients assess and address the privacy and data security risks that arise from a wide range of commercial activities.
Amelia has counseled numerous clients through data breach preparation and response, assisting clients assess their risks, develop response strategies, comply with legal obligations and address regulatory inquiries following an incident. She has advised clients ranging from small startups to Fortune 100 companies on the protection and use of personal data, including disclosure obligations, security requirements and data breach notification and response.
Amelia’s privacy-related litigation experience includes actions arising from a variety of online activity, brought under the federal Wiretap Act, the Stored Communications Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and state privacy laws. She also represents clients, such as Facebook, in defending against illegal spamming, scraping, data misuse, harassment and other forms of malicious behavior that interfere with client websites. Her litigation experience also includes a variety of other matters, including contract, intellectual property and internet law issues for a wide range of clients.
In pro bono matters, she has assisted a nonprofit in developing resources to educate victims of nonconsensual pornography on their legal options, represented immigrants seeking asylum before the immigration court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and served as counsel for 30,000 Arizona prisoners in a class action case against the state of Arizona seeking constitutional medical care and conditions of confinement.
- Recognized by Arizona Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star," 2014
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- American Bar Association, Science & Technology Section
- State Bar of Arizona, E-Commerce & Technology and Appellate Sections, Council Member, 2013
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- Harvard Club of Phoenix, Board of Directors, 2007 - 2013; Schools & Scholarship Committee, 2002 - 2014
- Harvard Club of Seattle, Schools & Scholarship Committee, 2015 - present
- Arizona State University Civil Justice Clinic, Tempe, AZ, Student Attorney, 2005
- Brown & Bain, P.A., Summer Associate, 2004
- Whatcom County Public Defender's Office, Bellingham, WA, Intern, 2003
- Hon. Rebecca Berch, Supreme Court of Arizona, 2005 - 2006
- Hon. Anna Baca, Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County, 2003