Amelia Gerlicher focuses her practice in the areas of privacy and data security, as well as assisting clients with consumer protection, intellectual property and contract issues arising from a wide variety of online activities.
Amelia’s privacy-related litigation experience includes actions arising from a variety of online activity, brought under the federal Wiretap Act, the Stored Communications Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and state privacy laws. She also represents clients, such as Facebook, in defending against illegal spamming, pretexting, harassment and other forms of malicious behavior that interfere with client websites. Her litigation experience also includes a variety of other matters, including contract, intellectual property and Internet law issues for a wide range of clients.
Amelia also counsels clients through data breach preparation and response, assisting clients assess their risks, develop response strategies, and comply with legal obligations. She advises clients on the protection and use of personal data, including disclosure obligations, security requirements, and data breach notification and response. She also advises clients on the privacy tort and right of publicity implications of online behavior.
In pro bono matters, she has represented immigrants seeking asylum before the immigration court and the Ninth Circuit and recently represented 30,000 Arizona prisoners in a class action case against the State of Arizona seeking constitutional medical care and conditions of confinement.
- Recognized by Arizona Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star," 2014
- International Association of Privacy Professionals - CIPP
- American Bar Association, Science & Technology Section
- State Bar of Arizona, E-Commerce & Technology and Appellate Sections, Council Member, 2013
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- Harvard Club of Phoenix, Board of Directors, 2007 - 2013; Schools & Scholarship Committee, 2002 - 2014
- Harvard Club of Seattle, Schools & Scholarship Committee, 2015 - present
- Arizona State University Civil Justice Clinic, Tempe, AZ, Student Attorney, 2005
- Brown & Bain, P.A., Summer Associate, 2004
- Whatcom County Public Defender's Office, Bellingham, WA, Intern, 2003
Hon. Rebecca Berch, Supreme Court of Arizona, 2005 - 2006
Hon. Anna Baca, Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County, 2003