Known for its deep client commitment, knowledge and experience, Perkins Coie is a nationally recognized leader in patent litigation and post-grant review practice.
Perkins Coie has built a premier nationwide patent litigation practice by focusing on clients’ needs, immersing ourselves in their businesses and exploiting preeminent technical resources and experience to achieve successful results.
Client Commitment and Industry Knowledge
Perkins Coie treats patent litigation as a business problem as well as a legal issue. We strive to understand our clients’ businesses and priorities so that we can serve their long-term goals and short-term needs.
In the process, we learn clients’ technology and industry trends so that we can anticipate problems and get up to speed quickly when disputes arise. That investment has made us an authority in a wide variety of cutting-edge technologies, including semiconductors, smartphones, cloud storage, social media, e-commerce, LED lighting, unmanned vehicles, consumer products, medical devices, and pharmaceutical drugs and biologics. We draw on that knowledge to assess clients’ litigation needs and solve problems efficiently. As a result, we can readily support large, highly sophisticated litigation clients, yet also efficiently serve emerging companies with smaller budgets.
Extensive Experience in Major Venues
We regularly represent clients in high-stakes patent matters around the country. We have litigated over 250 patent cases in the past two years, with achievements that include outright wins on motions to dismiss, summary judgments, bench and jury trials. Additionally, we have resolved disputes through the negotiation of many favorable settlements.
We have particularly deep experience in the major centers of district court patent litigation, including in Northern, Central and Southern California, Delaware, Chicago, New York and East Texas district courts. Other distinctions include a sophisticated ITC practice and a premier post-grant practice before the U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board in which we have handled over 300 IPR, CBM and PGR matters and taken nearly five dozen petitioner-side IPR petitions to final written decision. And when cases go up on appeal, we have one of the leading Federal Circuit practices in the country.
Advanced Technical Backgrounds and Deep Bench
Few firms can match the size and depth of our patent practice. We have over 220 full-time patent litigators, patent prosecutors and agents who are highly skilled at analyzing technology. Over 175 of our attorneys have degrees in electrical engineering, computer science and life sciences-related fields.
Many of our litigators worked in industry before turning to patent law, giving them both practical and technical insights. We staff matters with lawyers and other professionals who have the experience and issue-specific background to tackle the problem, and we use that technical savvy to master complex scientific issues.
Ability to Try and Win Major Cases
Succeeding at patent litigation requires translating difficult technical concepts into stories, language and concepts that judges and juries can understand. Aided by a leading in-house jury consultant and a high-quality in-house graphics team, we make persuasive presentations at all phases of a case—from preliminary injunction motions to claim construction, summary judgment, trial and beyond.
When working with the Perkins Coie patent litigators, clients benefit from access to the type of technological focus typically associated with a boutique patent practice, while also gaining the sophistication of working with an Am Law 50 national litigation law firm known for achievements in antitrust, unfair trade practices, product liability, trade secrets, copyright, trademark, international trade and other areas of law. Four of our patent litigators are members of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
Recognition for Patent Litigation Excellence
We regularly represent leading FORTUNE 100 and 500 companies, including such household names as Adobe, Google, HTC, Intel, Microsoft, Mylan, Nintendo and T-Mobile USA. Recognition of those and other representations include:
- BTI Consulting named Perkins Coie an IP Litigation “Powerhouse” that general counsel look to hire in its 2019 BTI Litigation Outlook report, an annual analysis of the legal landscape by BTI Consulting Group
- ChIPs and the Diversity Lab ranked Perkins Coie the third for gender diversity in IP practices, per their inaugural Inclusion Blueprint Survey
- Patexia, Inc. named Perkins Coie the seventh most active law firm in the country for inter partes reviews in its IPR Intelligence Report. Five Perkins Coie attorneys were also named among the most active and best performing individuals representing petitioners or patent owners.
- Chambers ranked Perkins Coie among the leading firms nationally and globally for Intellectual Property: Patent, 2018
- Corporate Counsel named Perkins Coie the most-hired firm by America’s largest companies for IP litigation.
- Lex Machina ranked Perkins Coie third nationally, in 2016 and 2017, among “Firms That Landed The Most Patent Defense Suits Last Year.”
- Docket Navigator ranked Perkins Coie as the top national firm for litigation milestones on the patentee side and fourth on the defense side.
- Managing Intellectual Property ranked Perkins Coie among the top 10 firms for PTAB petitioners.
- Docket Navigator ranked Perkins Coie sixth nationwide in post-grant proceedings.
- Law360 named Perkins Coie as one of the “Firms That Dominated the Federal Circuit” in 2016 and 2017.
Click on the map above for more patent litigation details in key jurisdictions.