In today's economy, a company is often defined in the global marketplace by its success in procuring, managing and enforcing its intellectual property.
Perkins Coie’s IP practice combines the focus and flexibility of a boutique firm with the complementary services of one of the world’s leading technology law firms. Our internationally recognized practice consists of more than 250 attorneys and agents who provide innovative, comprehensive counsel at every stage of IP protection and development, including patent litigation and appeals, post-grant proceedings, patent prosecution, portfolio counseling and technology licensing, as well as copyright, trademark, trade secret and unfair competition counseling and litigation.
Over 175 of our attorneys and other professionals have degrees in electrical engineering, computer science and life sciences-related fields, and many of our attorneys previously worked as scientists, engineers or in-house counsel. We have built a premier practice by immersing ourselves in our clients’ technologies and industries, and clients benefit from our interdisciplinary approach to matters. Our IP team is highly skilled at analyzing technology, with the experience and issue-specific backgrounds to master complex scientific issues.
Commitment to Practice Innovation
We are an industry leader in developing technology-focused solutions to better serve our clients, including proprietary patent tools and portfolio analytic capabilities. Our award-winning tools, which provide clients greater visibility into data about our legal work, include Portfolio Dashboard, a cloud-based platform that allows clients real-time access to their patent portfolio data, increasing client control and reducing overall management costs, and P4, a custom workload management system that aggregates and cleanly displays matter status, deadlines and progress toward budget information in real time.
Portfolio Dashboard. With our proprietary Portfolio Dashboard, clients gain real-time access to their patent portfolio data and an easier report generation process, reducing overall management costs. Designed to put more power into the hands of our clients and help corporate management easily assess patent portfolio status and track portfolio progress, the dashboard pulls and presents data in a variety of simple-to-use graphs and reports.
Perkins Coie Patent Prosecution Platform (P4). Our custom workload management system focuses on managing large-scale patent prosecution portfolios effectively and efficiently. The streamlined, web-based tool aggregates and displays data from our docketing, time entry and billing systems in real time.
Patent Analysis and Review Tool. Our custom Patent Analysis and Review Tool captures data and legal analysis about each patent in a client’s portfolio to facilitate portfolio management and identification of monetization opportunities.
Patent Litigation and Appeals
Perkins Coie regularly represents clients in high-stakes patent matters around the country. Our team litigated over 250 patent cases during the past two years, with achievements that include outright wins on motions to dismiss, summary judgments, and bench and jury trials. Additionally, we have resolved disputes through the negotiation of many favorable settlements. Our patent enforcement and defense experience spans the major centers of district court litigation as well as the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
When cases go up on appeal, we have earned an exceptional record representing clients in high-stakes patent appeals before the Federal Circuit. In 2019, our record before the Federal Circuit was 10-1, with significant, precedent-setting wins in a range of subject matters for clients across industries. Our practice includes several former Federal Circuit law clerks as well as the former Solicitor and Deputy General Counsel for Intellectual Property Law at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Our industry-shaping wins have garnered us recognition from Law360 as an appellate “Practice Group of the Year” in 2018 and an Intellectual Property “Practice Group of the Year” in 2019, and as one of the firms that “dominated” in patent cases decided by the Federal Circuit the past three years in a row, ranking number one for win percentage (85 percent) and third in total victories in 2018.
In addition to our comprehensive patent litigation experience, clients benefit from access to the sophistication of an Am Law 50 national litigation law firm known for achievements in antitrust, unfair trade practices, product liability, trade secrets, copyright, trademark, international trade and other areas of law.
Patent Prosecution and Portfolio Counseling
Perkins Coie has market-leading capabilities in patent portfolio counseling and prosecution, with more than 100 USPTO-registered patent attorneys and agents. Our investment in clients has allowed us to become authorities in numerous cutting-edge technologies. We leverage knowledge of caselaw and industry trends to draft quality patents and develop strategic patent portfolios that can better withstand future challenges and are also attractive to potential buyers and licensees. Our attorneys have filed over 8,800 new patent applications in the past two years on behalf of our clients and are skilled in navigating patent offices worldwide.
We also are one of the most experienced firms in patent-based transactions and have been at the forefront of the patent marketplace for the past decade, facilitating hundreds of millions of dollars of patent purchases or sales for clients. We have a dedicated in-house patent analysis team that utilizes multiple third-party software services to help deliver outstanding portfolio analysis results, guided by our significant experience helping clients identify monetization opportunities.
With one of the largest patent legal teams in the United States, Perkins Coie routinely advises clients looking to the America Invents Act’s post-grant procedures and invalidity trials to protect or challenge patents. We have one of the most active and successful PTAB practices in the country with a deep bench of tested, high-performing patent litigators and prosecutors who have appeared as counsel of record in more than 700 IPRs and other post-grant proceedings on behalf of petitioners and patent owners. We have represented clients since the earliest days of IPR proceedings, accumulating a winning track record.
Our forward-thinking advice reflects our experience, our research from tracking decisions and other data, and our in-depth training programs for our attorneys and clients. Our practice includes the former Solicitor and Deputy General Counsel for Intellectual Property Law at the USPTO who also acted as the USPTO’s Chief Administrative Patent Judge in charge of the PTAB.
Trademark, Copyright, Internet & Advertising
Perkins Coie works closely with clients to identify and protect the integrity of their brands and distinguish clients from competitors. We help clients develop strategies and programs, identify and perfect IP rights, and assert or defend these rights. With more than 50 attorneys located in key markets throughout the United States and China, we have extensive experience in all areas of U.S. and international trademark prosecution, counseling, enforcement and litigation.
Our attorneys carefully manage more than 30,000 trademark filings and registrations for more than 1,800 clients in 155 countries across many industries. We have registered more than 8,600 trademarks in the last two years alone. We protect and enforce copyrights through registration, counseling and agreements, regularly representing authors, artists, companies and other organizations in the arts and entertainment industry, as well as clients in many other technologies and industries.
We have extensive experience litigating trademark, copyright, trade dress, dilution, unfair competition, false advertising, false endorsement, domain name, gray market, and anti-counterfeiting and trade secret claims in courts across the country.
In addition, our attorneys help clients develop and implement IP investigation and enforcement programs, and we are frequently recognized for our capabilities and experience in the internet governance and ICANN space. We also assist in-house legal and marketing teams in planning for and executing advertising, marketing and promotional campaigns that comply with complex and rapidly changing state and federal laws and defend companies accused by consumers, competitors or regulatory agencies of violating these laws.
Our China IP practice has deep experience supporting multinationals with the registration, prosecution, maintenance and enforcement of IP rights. This group assists clients across diverse industries with the enforcement of rights to trademarks, copyright, patents and trade secrets before China’s administrative agencies and the People’s Courts. The team regularly supports clients in high-profile IP litigation matters and advises clients on privacy, cybersecurity, internet and other regulatory matters in China.
Our Intellectual Property practice has garnered significant recognition, including:
- Ranked as having the third top patent defense firm win rate and as the sixth most active firm for patent defense in the United States in 2020 by Docket Navigator
- Named by Law360 as an Intellectual Property Practice Group of the Year in 2019
- Ranked among the leading firms globally, nationally and regionally for Intellectual Property: Patent by Chambers
- Ranked nationally and regionally in the United States for patent prosecution and litigation and in China for overall patent law; 37 attorneys named leaders in the IAM Patent 1000 rankings
- Named a finalist for The American Lawyer Intellectual Property Litigation Department of the Year in 2019
- Named a finalist for the 2019 The American Lawyer Industry Awards in the Best Use of Technology category for our patent portfolio tools, P4, Portfolio Dashboard and the Patent Analysis and Review Tool
- Ranked the Best Performing ITC Law Firm for representing Complainants, the eighth Best Performing ITC Law Firm for representing Respondents, the sixth Best Performing ITC Law Firm Overall, and the fifth Most Active ITC Law Firm Overall (#3 when local ITC counsel firms are excluded) in the 2020 ITC Intelligence Report by Patexia, Inc.
- Named by Law360 as one of the top “Firms That Dominated the Federal Circuit” for the third year in a row, ranking number one for win percentage (85 percent) and third in total victories in 2018
- Named one of the top seven firms that general counsel look to hire for IP litigation, according to BTI Litigation Outlook 2019, an annual analysis of the legal landscape by BTI Consulting Group
- Recognized as a leader in “Innovation in Business of Law” for our patent portfolio tools P4 and Portfolio Dashboard by the Financial Times
- Ranked third for gender diversity in our IP practice in the 2018 Inclusion Blueprint Survey by ChIPs and the Diversity Lab
- Named by Law360 as having an appellate "Practice Group of the Year" in 2017
Ranked nationally for patent litigation and prosecution, trademark law, post-grant proceedings, and life sciences in the U.S. and for trademark law in China by Managing IP
- Ranked fifth among the most active national firms representing PTAB petitioners in 2018 by Lex Machina
- Named the U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Law Firm of the Year” in Patent Law four times
- Ranked nationally and regionally in World Trademark Review 1000, The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
- Ranked as having a leading China trademark practice by the China Business Law Journal
See more accolades
- Ranked fourth among national firms handling patent defense cases in 2018 per Lex Machina
- Named among the top five startup law firms nationwide hired for IP and other services per Kruze Consulting
- Named the most-hired firm by America’s largest companies for IP litigation in 2017 by Corporate Counsel
- Ranked as a leading firm for patent litigation by Managing IP
- Ranked one of the top ten law firms handling post-grant proceedings in 2018 per Docket Navigator
- Ranked one of the top five law firms for representing PTAB petitioners in 2018 by Managing Intellectual Property
- Named the seventh most active law firm in the country for inter partes reviews in Patexia IPR Intelligence Report
- Named Trademark Law Firm of the Year by U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
Ranked first in “Best Performing Law Firm for Complainants” and ranked fifth in “Most Active Law Firms Overall” in the 2020 ITC Intelligence Report by Patexia, Inc.