Facing unprecedented innovation and explosive growth in the life sciences industry, many leading biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies turn to Perkins Coie attorneys for strategic advice and practical counsel on expanding their business and protecting their intellectual property.
Our clients range from medical device and pharmaceutical manufacturers to companies focusing on diagnostic testing, biologics, biosimilars and small molecules, among other areas of the life sciences industry.
With an international biotechnology and pharmaceuticals team of more than 80 lawyers, patent agents and science advisers, we understand the inherent challenges of clients’ collective mission to cure disease and improve people’s health as well as the regulations that govern these pursuits.
Spanning our corporate, intellectual property and litigation practices, our legal team helps biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies—both public and private, large and small— solve their legal problems at every stage of growth.
Corporate Counsel to Biotech and Pharma Clients
Perkins Coie’s corporate lawyers work with emerging and established biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies in the United States and abroad in a variety of areas:
- Choice of entity, corporate formation and structure, corporate governance and public reporting
- Raising capital, including venture capital, private/preferred stock investments, debt financings, IPOs and subsequent equity follow-on financings
- Due diligence, mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate partnering, complex licensing, strategic alliances, technology agreements, R&D collaborations, joint ventures and supply and distribution agreements
- Business model counseling in light of IP strategies and the FDA approval process
- Executive compensation and equity incentive arrangements
- Real estate and land use matters
Patent Prosecution and Litigation
Many of our patent lawyers, agents and litigators earned degrees in molecular biology, chemistry or biophysics and have experience in life sciences and at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). We provide a full range of services to biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies in the following areas:
- Patent portfolio management and patent procurement
- Opinions on patentability, patent infringement, validity, freedom to operate and design-around issues
- Patent litigation to enforce rights or defend against infringement claims
- Post-grant proceedings under the America Invents Act, including inter partes review, reexaminations and reissues
- ITC Chapter 337 actions
In addition to patent litigation, we also provide a full range of other litigation services to biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies in cases involving:
- Trademark and copyright, trade secret and unfair competition litigation
- Product liability counseling and litigation
- Government investigations and whistleblower lawsuits
- Securities claims
- Labor and employment issues
- General business litigation matters
- Ranked by Lake Whillans “Top 10 Life Sciences Law Firms” for patents, 2016 - 2017
- Chambers USA for life sciences in California, 2013 - 2015
- Chambers Asia-Pacific as a “recognized firm” in life sciences, 2013 - 2015
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers ranked first tier of national law firms practicing in the area of biotechnology, 2013 - 2014