Timothy W. Burns is a partner at Perkins Coie LLP. He is the former co-chair of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association.
Tim is favorably ranked in the 2006 (Illinois), 2007 (recommended in "Insurance" nationally), and 2008 to 2016 (Band 2 - nationally) editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. According to the publication, Tim "shines brightly in the sensitive and complex area of D&O [directors' and officers'] insurance," and corporate interviewees for the publication agreed that he "is probably the best counselor in the business for the procurement of this insurance . . . and is a real client magnet in this specialized field." According to one client quoted, "He is smart, diligent, innovative, resourceful and practical." Tim also is listed in The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers and as one of the nation's top thirty policyholder-side insurance lawyers in the Executive Counsel Shortlist.
Tim has developed a nationally prominent D&O and fiduciary liability insurance practice. He advises clients on all aspects of D&O and fiduciary insurance, including counseling them with respect to the insurance aspects of securities and derivative litigation, fiduciary claims, government investigations, initial public offerings, spin-offs, mergers and acquisitions, and bankruptcies. Tim's practice also includes representing corporate policyholders in their disputes and litigation with their insurance carriers. He has represented major policyholders in insurance coverage litigation since 1992.
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance, 2017
- Listed in Benchmark Litigation’s Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys as a Local Litigation Star
- Selected by Best Lawyers as "2013 Lawyer of the Year" for Insurance Law
- Ranked by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2006 (Illinois), 2007 (recommended in "Insurance"), 2008 - 2019 (Band 2 - nationally)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2007 - Present: Insurance Law
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers, Executive Counsel Shortlist
- Named a “Leading Lawyer” by The Legal 500 for Insurance: Advise to policy holders, 2015
*The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.
- American Constitution Society for Law and Policy (ACS), Board of Directors, 2014
- The American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel, Fellow
- American Law Institute
- American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Co-Chair, 2003 - 2006
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Task Force, Co-Chair, 2002 - 2003
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR) Insurance Neutrals Review Committee, Member
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR), Directors and Officers’ Liability Insurance Group, Chair
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR) Insurance Committee, Directors' and Officers' Subcommittee, Chair
- Hon. George Fagg, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit