An intellectual property litigator, Tiffany Cunningham serves as trial and appellate counsel for FORTUNE 500 companies, small enterprises and individuals in complex patent and trade secret disputes. Her experience includes technologies related to chemical and pharmaceutical disciplines, biotechnology, computer science, automotive and mechanical engineering. She is a registered patent attorney before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and a partner in the firm's Patent Litigation practice.
Tiffany has extensive experience in dispute resolution venues nationwide, including numerous district courts and the Federal Circuit. Tiffany has successfully represented clients through all phases of litigation, including trial and appeal.
A graduate of Harvard Law School, Tiffany earned a Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Prior to joining the firm, Tiffany was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP and a clerk for Judge Dyk of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. She has been recognized on the 2017 Leading Lawyers list, 2016 - 2017 Illinois Super Lawyers lists, 2015 - 2016 Emerging Lawyers lists by Leading Lawyers, and the 2013 - 2015 Illinois Rising Stars lists.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict for plaintiffs on liability and damages in healthcare patent litigation in the Western District of Wisconsin.
- Successfully defended leading high technology companies in patent infringement case related to computer network security.
- Achieved favorable result for defendants in patent infringement case related to streaming technology.
- Obtained favorable claim construction ruling for defendant in patent infringement case involving map navigation technology. Case settled on confidential terms.
- Served as trial counsel in the District of Delaware for patentee in ANDA litigation involving anti-viral drugs. Obtained favorable post-trial ruling upholding patent validity.*
- Obtained judgment as matter of law of non-infringement in high profile, multi-million dollar patent dispute for a leading smartphone manufacturer after a jury trial in the Northern District of California. Named by the Daily Journal as one of the top defense verdicts in California in 2012.*
- Obtained favorable claim construction ruling on behalf of defendants in patent infringement case involving vehicle telematics. As a result of the ruling, patentee stipulated to judgment of non-infringement, which was later affirmed by the Federal Circuit.*
- Successfully represented plaintiffs in patent infringement case related to cured and curable silicone prepolymer compositions. Defendant acquiesced in plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment of infringement. Case settled on confidential terms.*
- Achieved favorable result for respondents in high profile ITC investigation involving a patent on access to protected computer resources. Case settled on confidential terms.*
- Obtained favorable claim construction ruling on behalf of client in patent infringement case related to dental curing lights and dental composite technology. Case settled on confidential terms.*
- Successfully defended leading pharmaceutical company in patent litigation by obtaining early dismissal of complaint and affirmance at the Federal Circuit. The Supreme Court denied plaintiff-appellant’s petition for certiorari.*
- Obtained a favorable claim construction ruling representing patentee in litigation relating to methods of producing immunoglobulins. Successfully defended against inequitable conduct allegations. Case settled on confidential terms.*
- Represented defendants/counter-plaintiffs in high profile, multi-patent infringement suit. Obtained stay of case less than a week before trial, in a jurisdiction that rarely grants stays of litigation. Case settled.*
- Obtained favorable summary judgment ruling on behalf of defendant/counter-plaintiff in trade secret case related to wheel motor technology. Case settled on confidential terms.*
- Served as appellate/re-trial counsel to defendants. As a result of a successful appeal, case was re-tried. See Caterpillar, Inc. v. Sturman Indus., Inc., 387 F.3d 1358 (Fed. Cir. 2004), cert. denied, 545 U.S. 1114 (2005). Obtained favorable judgment on trade secret and conversion claims. Case settled after trial on confidential terms.*
* Prior Experience
- Named to the 2017 Leading Lawyers list by Leading Lawyers
- Selected to Illinois “Super Lawyers” list by Super Lawyers, 2016 - 2017
- Named to the 2015 and 2016 Emerging Lawyers lists by Leading Lawyers
- Appointed a Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow, 2015
- Named to the Illinois "Rising Stars" lists by Super Lawyers, 2013 - 2015
- Featured in Third and Fourth Editions of Who's Who in Black Chicago
- Recognized as one of the Most Powerful and Influential Women in Illinois by the National Diversity Council, 2010
*The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.
Hon. Timothy Dyk, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2001 - 2002