Renowned intellectual property attorney Andy Culbert has over 30 years of experience strategically guiding technology companies through complex intellectual property matters. A former Associate General Counsel in Microsoft Corporation’s Litigation Department, Andy served as the head of Microsoft’s worldwide intellectual property litigation docket. His notable achievements include successful representation before the U.S. Supreme Court on a matter that established the framework for seeking worldwide damages for infringement of U.S. patents. His legacy also includes litigating cases before the Federal Circuit that redefined the law of patent damages as well as a case before the Ninth Circuit that formulated the basic methodology for valuation of standard-essential patents.
Andy left private practice to join Microsoft in 1998 as its first in-house IP litigator, where he managed one of the world’s largest and most complex patent litigation dockets for nearly two decades. He represented the company in connection with patent policy outreach, both domestically and internationally, and with efforts to adopt patent related legislation. Hailed as an “icon of IP” by Law 360, Andy has acted as a leader of an industry coalition group that met with members of Congress to advocate for improvements in intellectual property law. Additionally, he worked with leading economists to fashion appropriate methodologies for the valuation of intellectual property assets.
For over 16 years, Andy has taught IP related courses and seminars at the University of Washington School of Law, including in its Intellectual Property LL.M. Program. Andy is a former Peace Corps volunteer who served in Zaire and is a founding member of the Seattle Intellectual Property American Inn of Court and a former member of the board of governors of the Federal Circuit Bar Association.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018: Patent Law
- Named to Law360's list of 10 Most Admired Intellectual Property Attorneys
- Recipient of the Outstanding Service Award from the University of Washington Intellectual Property Law and Policy L.L.M. Program, 2006 - 2007
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, Board of Governors, Member, 2012 - 2015
- Patent Litigation Committee
- "FRAND" Committee
- International Series Committee
- Seattle Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, Master Level, Founding Member
- University of Washington School of Law, Seattle, WA, Adjunct Professor, 2000 - present
- Microsoft Corporation, Seattle, WA, Litigation Department, Associate General Counsel, 1998 - 2016