Patent attorney Stephen Arnett advises global technology companies and leading businesses on all aspects of patent portfolio development, patent analysis and post-issuance proceedings. Focused on understanding clients’ business imperatives and the critical role their IP assets play, Steve provides patent preparation and prosecution services, counseling and analysis to help clients achieve their strategic goals. When providing IP counsel in M&A transactions, Steve assesses offensive and defensive patent positions, litigation vulnerabilities and issues affecting IP value so that clients can negotiate favorable deals.
Steve’s clients include well-established and growing companies in aerospace, semiconductors, commercial equipment, consumer products, transportation and automated retail. He focuses on the preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications, in addition to providing freedom to operate and validity analysis and conducting due diligence for the acquisition, sale or licensing of patent assets.
When patent enforcement issues arise or patent analysis is required to support litigation, Steve provides counsel to clients and colleagues across a broad range of technologies and industries. Steve recently argued successfully before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit for affirmance of a Patent Trial and Appeal Board finding of invalidity of a patent asserted against a client.
Steve is a former aeronautical and astronautical engineer who worked for more than 15 years with General Dynamics Space Systems, Lockheed-Martin Space Systems and The Boeing Company. His areas of technical experience include mechanical, electromechanical and aerospace systems, semiconductor processing and packaging, internal combustion engines and computer- implemented business methods. In addition to his practice, Steve has also served as an adjunct professor at Seattle University School of Law, teaching patent and trade secret law.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2016 - 2020: Patent Law
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, “Rising Stars of Washington Law,” 2003, 2006 - 2009
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington State Patent Law Association
- Seattle University School of Law, Adjunct Professor, Patent and Trade Secret Law, 2011 - 2013
- Seed & Berry LLP, Seattle, WA, Law Clerk, 1998
- The Boeing Company Commercial Space Division, Seattle, WA, Principal Engineer, 1996 - 1999
- Lockheed-Martin Space Systems (formerly General Dynamics Space Systems), San Diego, CA, Engineering Specialist, 1983 - 1995