Sandra Newman concentrates her practice in wealth preservation, tax, family office management, complex trust administration, business succession and philanthropic planning. Her representative matters include:
- Representing individual and corporate trustees in the administration of complex trusts and estates, including trust modifications through court approved reformations and nonjudicial settlement agreements and creation and administration of private trust companies.
- Special knowledge representing art collectors, including sales through galleries and auctions, art financing and lending agreements, fractional interest gifts, and gift tax planning via partnerships and tenancy in common agreements.
- Advising family offices on investment structures, asset holdings, employment matters and tax matters.
- Designing succession plans in a tax efficient manner for business owners throughout the U.S., including those with extensive real estate holdings, manufacturing entities and intellectual property interests.
- Drafting and implementing strategic wealth transfer techniques, including grantor retained annuity trusts, sales to defective grantor trusts, asset protection trusts, family limited partnerships, dynasty trusts and life insurance trusts.
- Structuring private foundations, charitable trusts, pledges and gift agreements, and advising on the proper administration of charitable entities.
- Counseling clients in premarital planning, planning incident to divorce and specialized planning for nontraditional families.
- Representing beneficiaries and fiduciaries in complex litigation, including will and trust contests, breach of fiduciary duty claims and related dispute resolution matters.
- Advising clients on planning for special purpose assets, such as vacation homes, aircraft, vessels and patents.
- Ranked in Private Wealth Law, Illinois by Chambers High Net Worth (HNW), 2019 - 2020
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 - 2021: Trusts and Estates
- Selected as one of the nations top 100 Estate Planning attorneys in the United States by Worth magazine.
- Listed as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Law & Politics, 2012 - 2015
- Listed in Illinois Leading Lawyers
*The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.
- American Bar Association, Section on Real Property, Probate and Trust Law
- Participant in Northwestern University’s Kellogg Strategic Leadership Program
- Chicago Estate Planning Council
- Goodman Theatre, Planned Giving Council
- Chicago Community Trust, Professional Advisory Committee
- Society of International Estate Planners
- Perkins Coie's Pro Bono and Diversity Committees, Member