Veteran antitrust litigator Patrick Thompson has spent more than two decades representing clients facing federal and state claims involving price-fixing and monopolization. Patrick’s business litigation practice also includes defending class actions involving the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, false advertising and unfair business practice claims and representing clients in other complex commercial litigation. Additionally, he represents clients in regulated industries, advocating for them in proceedings and evidentiary hearings before the Federal Trade Commission and the California Public Utilities Commission.
Patrick’s vast litigation background includes arbitrations, trials and numerous summary judgment victories for a range of sector-leading clients. His experience includes advising clients in such industries as food and beverage, technology, energy, banking and financial services, hospitality and telecommunications.
A respected leader in the legal community at the national, state and local levels, Patrick is a presidential appointee to the American Bar Association’s Standing Committee on Publishing Oversight. He also currently serves on the Long-Range Planning Committee of the ABA Antitrust Section. He has previously served on the Council of the ABA AntitrustAntirust Section and on the Executive Committee of the Antitrust, UCL Section of the State Bar of California.
Patrick’s civic commitments are also notable. He is a former chair of the board of trustees of Grace Cathedral, former chair of the board of directors of California Pacific Medical Center, serves on the board of the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, and chairs the Finance Committee of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Recognized as one of America’s Top Black Lawyers
- Listed as a Northern California “Super Lawyer,” 2004 - Present
- Named to "Top 20 Under 40" in California by the Daily Journal
- American Bar Association, Standing Committee on Publishing Oversight, Member
- Antitrust Section, Member, Long-Range Planning Committee, 2018 - 2019
- Antitrust Section, Council, 2009 - 2012
- Antitrust Source, Chair of Editorial Board, 2007 - 2009
- Antitrust Law Journal, Editor, 1996 - 2002
- Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity, Antitrust Section Liaison
- State Bar of California, Executive Committee of the Antitrust, UCL Section, Vice Chair, 2005
- Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights in San Francisco, Chair-Elect, 2019
- Grace Cathedral, Board of Trustees, Chair, 2011 - 2013
- American Conservatory Theater, Board of Trustees, MFA Board, Vice Chair, former Secretary to the Board
- Cathedral School for Boys, Board Member, 2012 - 2014
- California Pacific Medical Center, Board of Directors, Director, 1996 - 2004; Chairman, 2003 - 2004
- Foundation of the Bar Association of San Francisco, Board of Directors, Member
- Francis of Assisi Community, Board of Directors, Member