Michael is a partner in the Seattle office who has previously served as a federal prosecutor and Supreme Court law clerk. Michael's practice at Perkins Coie focuses on defending against product liability claims and providing counsel regarding product liability risk. Representative clients include companies in the aviation, aerospace, tire manufacturing, water recovery and telecommunications industries. Recent experience includes leading the representation of an out-of-state manufacturer in a class-action lawsuit in Washington state court, handling complex damages issues in an international arbitration involving product defect allegations with respect to a telecommunications satellite, and representing a leading airplane manufacturer in multidistrict litigation arising out of an accident at San Francisco International Airport. Michael has also leveraged his prior prosecutorial experience in conducting risk assessments and investigations involving the FCPA.
- Represent airplane manufacturer in defense of multidistrict litigation proceedings arising from accident at San Francisco International Airport.
- Obtained early dismissal on behalf of helicopter manufacturer in wrongful death lawsuit.
- Represent aviation chart producer with respect to claims arising from plane crash in Australia.
- Represent cell phone service provider in defense against claims that cell phone radiofrequency emissions cause brain tumors.
- Represent foreign tire manufacturer in defense of product liability claims in Iowa state court.
- Represented water-recovery industry manufacturer in class action lawsuit in Washington state court.
- Represented satellite manufacturer in international arbitration relating to satellite constructive total loss resulting in alleged damages of $400 million.
- Represented defense contractor in multimillion-dollar dispute with subcontractor over workshare and lost profits, culminating in two-week arbitration hearing.
- Interviewed witnesses in Latin American subsidiary of multinational company with respect to FCPA issues.
- Supervised forensic accounting team in FCPA compliance testing with respect to Mexican operations of multinational company.
- Lead prosecutor for investigation and prosecution of multistate check kiting ring, with indictment of 16 defendants including a corrupt employee of the Washington Department of Licensing.
- Lead prosecutor for investigation and prosecution of multistate identity theft ring, with indictment and conviction of seven defendants including the ringleader.
- Lead prosecutor for investigation and prosecution of car loan fraud ring. Successfully obtained extradition from Mexico of international fugitive captured due to social media use.
- Obtained conviction on all 30 counts during two-week bench trial on conspiracy, bank fraud, wire fraud, and money laundering charges arising from multiyear mortgage fraud scheme.