Matthew Rojas counsels municipal and industrial clients on complex natural resource and environmental issues. Matthew’s experience includes the development of natural resources and renewable energy on public lands and Indian Country, and the acquisition, transfer and wheeling of surface and groundwater rights in the Southwest. He has managed environmental permitting and compliance work for utility and infrastructure projects such as solar and wind farms, power lines and pipelines on private, state and federal lands. Matthew also advises clients navigating issues associated with project development near traditional cultural properties and other tribal resources, including community development, operational and development agreements between tribes and third parties.
Many of Matthew’s clients operate in the mining, utility and agricultural sectors and in geographies with numerous water restrictions. In addition to his transactional due diligence counsel to project developers, Matthew advises them on how to leverage their excess water rights. He has guided clients in the sale of excess water to industrial users and for the generation of credits, helping to build resilience and flexibility into water storage and distribution systems.
Matthew has extensive litigation and regulatory experience under the Comprehensive Environmental Response and Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA). He advises clients on compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the submission of comments on environmental impact statements and environmental assessments. Experienced with negotiating compliance and enforcement matters with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Matthew has also guided clients on Clean Water Act (CWA) compliance and related state statutes.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2020 - 2021: Environmental Law
- Listed in Chambers USA "America's Leading Lawyers" for Environment: Water Rights, 2019 - 2020
- Listed in Southwest Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star," 2014 - 2017
- State Bar of Arizona, Environmental and Natural Resources Section Council, CLE Co-Chair
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, Web Board, Member
- Hon. Robert C. Jones, U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada, 2008
- Hon. Robert C. Jones, U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada, 2007