Matt Gehringer focuses his practice in the area of professional liability, professional ethics and complex commercial litigation, though his experience also includes substantial matters in product liability and insurance coverage. As the firm’s General Counsel, Matt is responsible for all legal matters for Perkins Coie, counsels the firm’s lawyers and management on professional responsibility issues, and works on claims against the firm. Prior to becoming General Counsel in March 2016, Matt regularly represented clients in matters involving professional liability, professional ethics, commercial contract disputes, product liability and insurance coverage/bad faith. During his years of practice, he has successfully defended law firms in claims alleging professional negligence and fraud; represented parties in complex contract litigation, ranging from acquisition agreement disputes to insurance contracts; and handled nationwide product liability claims involving catastrophic injuries. Matt has been admitted pro hac vice in 25 separate state courts.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2013 - 2020: Commercial Litigation
- Listed as an Illinois "Super Lawyer" as published by Law & Politics, 2005, 2006, 2008 - 2012, 2015 - 2019
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
*The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.
- Admitted pro hac vice in 25 states
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Cahill, Christian & Kunkle, Ltd., Chicago, IL, Partner, 1996-2002
- Phelan, Pope & John, Chicago, IL, Partner, 1983-1996