Matthew is the managing partner for the San Diego office, co-managing partner of the Taipei office and is a partner in the firm's Patent Litigation group. His practice focuses on patent litigation and patent trial work. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants extensively, in district courts throughout the country and before the International Trade Commission. Matthew recently tried five patent jury cases in district court and a patent case at the ITC.
Some of Matthew’s recent patent litigation successes include:
- Successfully defended a software company in the second-largest patent infringement case in U.S. history.
- Successfully defended Taiwanese handset manufacturer in ITC action, including obtaining a finding of no liability at hearing / trial and at the Federal Circuit.
- Obtained stipulated judgment of noninfringement for two streaming clients in the District of Delaware following a successful early Markman hearing.
- Obtained zero dollar dismissals with prejudice for clients in the Eastern District of Texas, District of Delaware, Southern District of Texas, and Southern District of California.
- Obtained a jury verdict of infringement, willful infringement, significant damages and validity against a major semiconductor company, and then obtained a permanent injunction, enhanced damages, and attorneys’ fees from the district court.
- Obtained a jury verdict on liability and significant damages for a computer hardware company, and then obtained injunction, enhanced damages, and attorneys’ fees from the district court.
He has litigated and counseled clients in a wide variety of technologies and industries, including computer software and hardware, mobile, electronics, e-commerce, medical devices, media, automotive systems, weapons systems, biotechnology, and others. In addition to his patent infringement work, Matthew also represents clients in trademark, trade secret, trade dress, copyright, and government contract matters.
Matthew’s intellectual property and litigation skills have been recognized in both San Diego and nationally. He has been named a Top Attorney, Best Lawyer, Best of the Bar, and Super Lawyer.
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America, Practicing in: Litigation - Intellectual Property and Patent, 2015, 2017 - 2018
- Named in Best Lawyers, San Diego, Practicing in: Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2015 - 2016
- San Diego Business Journal's, Best of the Bar, 2014 - 2017
- Super Lawyer (Intellectual Property), 2013 - 2017
- Named a "Top Attorney" (Intellectual Property Litigation) in San Diego by the San Diego Daily Transcript, 2007 - 2013, 2015; San Diego Top Attorney Emeritus in 2014
- Recipient of the Wiley W. Manual award for Pro Bono Service
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- Fish & Richardson P.C., San Diego, CA, Partner
- DLA Piper (formally Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich), San Diego, CA, Associate
- United States Agency for International Development, Washington, D.C., Law Clerk