As a Senior Client Advisor within Perkins Coie’s Client Advantage team, Mark leverages his wide-ranging experience to help his general counsel clients innovate, solve problems, understand trends in legal services and bring value to the law firm-client relationship.
Clients in both public and private sectors turn to Mark Roellig for his decades of experience at the highest levels of Fortune 500 companies. Armed with best practices and deep knowledge, he advises general counsel and their senior teams on effectively and efficiently managing diverse and inclusive corporate legal departments, and improving operational processes.
Mark brings extensive knowhow to his clients not only in the legal arena, but also in corporate strategy, public policy, government relations, internal audits, compliance, human resources, business resources, facilities and real estate management and information technology.
As the former Executive Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Mark earned a reputation for leading successful in-house counsel and administrative teams. Over his career he also held C-suite roles at Fisher Scientific International Inc., Storage Technology Corp. and U S WEST Inc., overseeing critical functions including marketing, corporate strategy and executive compensation and benefits. He also served as Mass Mutual’s Chief Technology Officer for two years.
Widely known for his leadership in the general counsel space, Mark writes a monthly column for the Association of Corporate Counsel. He was named among America’s 50 Outstanding General Counsel by the National Law Journal and Legal Times and was recognized by Ethisphere as one of 75 attorneys worldwide who matter.
- Named America’s 50 Outstanding General Counsel, National Law Journal and Legal Times
- Recognized 16 by the Ethisphere® Institute as one of 75 attorneys worldwide who matter
- Received Excellence in Corporate Practice award, by the Association of Corporate Counsel
- Named honorary co-chair of the American Bar Association’s Diversity & Inclusion Task Force
- Received Connecticut Law Tribune’s Legal Departments of the Year awards for Management of In-House Counsel and Diversity/Quality of Life
- Named finalist in Corporate Counsel’s Best Legal Departments
- Received Minority Corporate Counsel Association's Employer of Choice Award for the Northeast Region
- Sargasso Mutual Insurance Company, Board Member, 2006 – 2017
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel, Board of Governors, 2010 – 2014
- Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity, Board Member and President, 2012 – 2017
- Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession, Board Member, 2012 – 2017
- University of Colorado Law school, Adjunct Professor, 2013 - 2016
- Deloitte Future CLO Program, Teacher, 2014 – present
- Boston Bar Association Council, 2013 – 2016
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, 2005 – 2019
- Fisher Scientific International, 2005 – 2005
- Storage Technology Corp., 2002 – 2005
- Bulletin News Network Inc., 2000 – 2002
- U S WEST, Inc., 1992 – 2000
- U S WEST Communications, 1988 – 1992
- Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company, 1983 – 1988
- Reed, McClure, Moceri & Thonn, LLC, 1979 – 1983