Margret Truax is a partner in the firm's Tax practice. Her practice focuses on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, ERISA, and other federal and state laws affecting employer-sponsored employee welfare benefit plans. She also focuses on HIPAA and HITECH Act compliance with respect to covered entities and business associates and the federal tax aspects of nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements, bonus plans, severance agreements and other compensation arrangements subject to Code Section 409A. Margret’s experience includes counseling public and private companies in mergers, acquisitions, financings and other major business transactions, and advising clients in all aspects of benefit plan design and compliance.
Prior to attending law school, Margret practiced as a registered nurse with a healthcare career that spanned more than a decade. Her work as a nurse included working in cardio-thoracic telemetry and emergency medicine units as well as volunteering with the American Red Cross as a member of the National Disaster Response Team.
- Washington State Bar Association, Taxation Section, Member
- The State Bar of California, Taxation Section, Member
- California Court of Appeal, Senior Appellate Court Attorney for Justice H. Walter Croskey, 2011 - 2012
- Perkins Coie, LLP, Associate, 2005 - 2010
- Planned Parenthood of Western Washington, Legal Extern, Spring 2005
- Bennett Bigelow & Leedom, PS, Summer Associate, Summer 2004
- Low Income Taxpayer Clinic, Legal Extern, 2003 - 2004
- Perkins Coie LLP, Summer Associate, Summer 2003
Hon. Ann Jones, Superior Court of California, Los Angeles County, 2010 - 2011